Is it time for a phono stage?

I've been back into vinyl for a year now after almost a 40 year break and love it. Started with about 180 and now have around 800. The problem I find is it is hard to listen to equipment before buying. My system is a Mac MA6600 integrated,VPIPrime with Ortofon 2M black and a set of Revel F-30. Most of the equipment I've purchased has been based on reviews and reputation. I'm looking to spend in the 2-4k range and am leaning towards tubes. Current choices are The Chinook and the Herron ftph-2. I also was thinking about the Asthetix Rhea but was told it might not be a good match due to the Mac's input impedance being low. Honestly a lot of the technical stuff can be overwhelming but I know it's important. Looking for advice. Thanks.
rkbcpa55
Miner42. have you tried any separate phono pre yet. My amp also has a built in MM phono which some have told me is pretty good. However without comparing it to a separate phono pre there is no way or me to know.
I will make this easy for you. GO WITH THE MANLEY CHINOOK! You will not be disappointed.
The Herron always looked like the best value and best tube phono stage, but I've looked more into the new Zesto Andros 1.2, as the reviews are raving about with its new updates and versatility with cartridges. Does anyone have any experience owning or hearing the Zesto Andros with the new updates of the 1.2? Seems like all the forums of it are of the older model.
There are a lot of fabulous phono stages in the price range you mention. I haven't heard them all; I have heard a large sampling of them.

But I have heard the Herron VTPH-2 and it bettered everything in its price range. Bettered them by a large margin. I own one because I haven't heard anything better.
Rkbcpa55 - I have not yet purchased a phono stage. I am very pleased with my C2300 MM/MC and have yet to find one that can better it for under $3500 (that's a lot of LPs).