Is it time for a phono stage?

I've been back into vinyl for a year now after almost a 40 year break and love it. Started with about 180 and now have around 800. The problem I find is it is hard to listen to equipment before buying. My system is a Mac MA6600 integrated,VPIPrime with Ortofon 2M black and a set of Revel F-30. Most of the equipment I've purchased has been based on reviews and reputation. I'm looking to spend in the 2-4k range and am leaning towards tubes. Current choices are The Chinook and the Herron ftph-2. I also was thinking about the Asthetix Rhea but was told it might not be a good match due to the Mac's input impedance being low. Honestly a lot of the technical stuff can be overwhelming but I know it's important. Looking for advice. Thanks.
rkbcpa55
If you're keeping the Mac, then you don't need a full function preamplifier (like the Aesthetix Janus), so that's a beginning. Of the phono only units mentioned, I'd vote for K&K (which can be purchased pre-assembled for not much extra), Herron, or you could consider the Aesthetix Rhea. More or less, they are all in the same price range. On the other hand, the Liberty B2B is said to be a "bargain" for much less money. Pity, the industry seems to be struggling, yet there is a lot of good product out there.
For the time being I plan to stay with the MAC. However I do see going to separate Amp Preamp in the future. That being said I would anticipate not going with one with a built in phono stage so I want one that is flexible. I appreciate all the responses to date. I plan to attend the NY audio show in Westchester in November hoping to be able to listen to various setups.
Tough decision. I have a McIntosh C2300 preamp and was looking for an outboard phono stage but I could not find anything under $3500 that could better the Mc's adjustable on-the-fly (with remote) phono stage. My turntable is a VPI Aries 3 with 3D arm and Ortofon Cadenza Black MC cartridge.
Miner42. have you tried any separate phono pre yet. My amp also has a built in MM phono which some have told me is pretty good. However without comparing it to a separate phono pre there is no way or me to know.