Sanders 10B Electrostatic

I have a friend who owns these and is considering high quality tube amp to drive.

Anyone have experience?
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xalbertporter
Albert, it may not be required for the 10B but how many 100 watt tube amps can drive a 1 ohm load? Given that it should be able to handle the impedance of the speaker. As for current, if the RM-200 doesn't meet the challenge I am sure the RM-9 Special Edition can, but the price on that amp is substantially higher compared to the RM-200.
Clio09
Albert, it may not be required for the 10B but how many 100 watt tube amps can drive a 1 ohm load?

Is the Sanders a 1 ohm load? If yes, do you know across what part of the musical spectrum?

What is your opinion on 200 + WPC tube amps? Say Audio Research REF 250W mono blocks or Atma-Sphere 200W mono blocks?

Do you think they are up to task for Sanders?
Given what is written here: http://www.dagogo.com/sanders-sound-10b-floorstanding-speaker-review a pair of Atma-Sphere M-60's or the previously mentioned Music Reference amps should do the trick. If what I read in the review is correct the bass section of the 10B has it's own amp and electronic crossover. So the tube amp only has to power the panel section.
I had the Music Reference RM-200 with special hand-wound tranformers. Very nice amp. It was running KT-120's. I'm wondering whether Roger has determined whether it will run with KT-150's...
I heard the Sanders speaker at this years T.H.E. Show in Irvine, and I've been lusting for a pair ever since---I loved 'em! With Sanders, Ralph Karsten, and Roger Modjeski, you have three very good designers, each of whom will give you a different opinion on an amp suitable for driving them. Sanders can be ruled out for your friend Albert, as he's a SS man. Karsten will of course recommend one of his amps (nothing wrong with that!). As for Modjeski, in his Forum he wrote that the common wisdom of an OTL being a good match with electrostatic loudspeakers is, in actuality, incorrect. Roger has designed OTL's (a really good one manufactured and marketed by Counterpoint in the 80's), and will build you one now. However, he points out that the interaction of the impedance load of an ESL with the high output impedance of an OTL amp makes them very much incompatible. That the legendary pairing of the original Quad with a Futterman or NYAL amp produced wildly inaccurate frequency response, as well as ringing and instability in the amp. I'll bet one reason Sanders would recommend a SS amp is, for one thing, precisely because of their generally low output impedance.