Is it time for a phono stage?

I've been back into vinyl for a year now after almost a 40 year break and love it. Started with about 180 and now have around 800. The problem I find is it is hard to listen to equipment before buying. My system is a Mac MA6600 integrated,VPIPrime with Ortofon 2M black and a set of Revel F-30. Most of the equipment I've purchased has been based on reviews and reputation. I'm looking to spend in the 2-4k range and am leaning towards tubes. Current choices are The Chinook and the Herron ftph-2. I also was thinking about the Asthetix Rhea but was told it might not be a good match due to the Mac's input impedance being low. Honestly a lot of the technical stuff can be overwhelming but I know it's important. Looking for advice. Thanks.
rkbcpa55
Of the 3 that you mention, the Herron VTPH-2 is probably the best option, and maybe overall in that price range. One more option that I'd consider in that range is the Allnic H-1201.
Buy used so that you can easily trade it out if it is not a big enough improvement for you. Take a look at K&K if you can build it yourself.
I'm in the same boat, Rkbcpa55. Listening in the store doesn't help much, as your system will be much different and the room setup could impact the sound. That said, based on reviews and hearsay, I've never heard anything but great things about the Herron VTPH2. In fact, this is the one I will get when money allows. It seems to be the quietest and most dynamic/musically engaging Tube phono stage under $4k. I also have the VPI Prime Turntable and Ortofon MC cartridge. I've called Keith Herron and Oswaldo Martinez from Let There Be Sound in Weston, FL - I would highly recommend calling Oswaldo, as he is very knowledgeable with the VPI Prime and the Herron and loading. he will answer all questions and gives great after care service if you purchase from him. Just google "Let There Be Sound" and he will be a great resource if you run into any issues. Tell him David from Pittsburgh sent you!