Computer Audio..Stream or download?

Fellow Audiophiles,

Until now, i never cared for music streaming or downloads, simply because of compression. I owned fairly large selection of CD's, SACD's, DTS and DVD audio discs. DTS and DVD audio are long gone and SACD's are now pretty much limited to classical titles. I have been watching the digital trend pretty closely..it seems that we have evolved from digital downloads to now streaming. For sake of convenience, i have installed Sonos in couple of rooms. In my HT setup, Sonos just couldn't live up to high standards set by Krell and Raysonic. The streaming from Spotify, Amazon and Rhapsody is just average (flat and dull most times).

I am looking for ideas and feedback based on your experiences with high-res downloads. I am only interested in listening to high-rez / DSD64 or DSD128 files.

Please respond with your recommendations on DSD software and DAC's/Players.

MY Equipments:
Classe SSP-800 / CA-2200 / CA-5200
Krell Cipher
Raysonic CD-128
B&W 803s/804s/HTM2s/SCMS
Audience Au24 SE - IC's, Speaker, Power and Digital Cables
Audience AR6-TSSD/AR2-TSSD
128x128lalitk
Fsmithjack,

I am really looking forward to Elyse DAC. I just installed a pair of KWA150 SE, they are powering up my 800D's in bridged mono configuration. Hands down, one of the best amps I have heard in a while. They outclassed my Classe M600, actually smoked them!

I thought about Auralic Aries a lot but the build and SQ quality out weighs the $1100 price difference. The way used market is, who wants to risk reselling Aries at $1K range in couple of months.

As far as the tube mods go, Dan already recommended following tube replacements -

(2) Electro Harmonix 6922 TUBES - Stock Tubes
- Recommended Upgrade (that they use at the trade shows) Tungsram PCC88 / 7DJ8 - http://www.upscaleaudio.com/tungsram-pcc88-7dj8/
(1) Sovtek 5AR4 - Stock Tube
- Recommended Upgrade, NOS 1970 Philips 5R4GYS - http://www.upscaleaudio.com/philips-5r4gys

I plan to listen the DAC with stock tubes first and then swap them out with recommended tubes. The DAC being shipped with both tubes.
Modwright makes very good stuff, but the DHT tubes are incomparable. I have played around with ECC88s, ECC40, ECC81/82/83 of all kinds of exotic old brands from my local tube guy and they are great, but the, 345s, 45 triodes (mesh plate), the 101ds, 300bs, 6A3s, etc combined with the big bottle rectifiers do it for me.

I have (as rectis) metal base Philips GZ34, Mullard GZ37, vintage 5u4g, 5AR, new production 274b, military spec double mica 5r4gy, etc, all from the 1940s to 1960s. When combined with the big bottle DHTs are a quantum leap over the small signal tubes and especially for DSD.

I have NOT tried the uber expensive 300bs like from WE vintage, Takasuli, Elrog, etc nor the EML anniversary 45 globe (unobtanium). people say these are worth the high pricetag.
Wisnon - I totally agree DHT Tubes are the very best of the best. You get nothing but agreement here but those would prob match my system a lot better than Lalitk's. I love DHT - I have switched my "entire" system around and provided an entire and radical system refit so I can feature the DHT tubes. I live for my 2A3 custom amp so I am all in on that program. His system is a lot different with those great beasts of speakers.

Lalitk

Regardless what any one else even the designer tells you I promise you and you can write this down (lol...that's what I am doing) and put me on record saying if you buy the tubes I recommended and then you buy the ones he recommended you will listen and prefer my recommendation 10 to 1 min more like 100 to 1 but that's just my opinion but tubes are tubes.

The better tubes the better they sound and the combo I recommended is the best there is IMO. I know he will quote synergy but that's crap.

The pinched waist PQ Amperex will obliterate that Tungsram in any system any time any place IMO. The main reason anyone uses the Tungsram tubes is because it is super quiet and super clean. I own a few of them. They are dry, sterile, thin yet uber detailed and super duper clean and quite fast while ultra quiet but trust my word and anyone else will agree if you are getting the best platinum matched from upscale then the Tungsram will be like a NAD/Rotel/Adcom tube and the Amperex PQ is a Vitus/Bumester/Gryphon.

There is nothing a Philips 5R4GYS can do against a Mullard GZ34 IMO. But buy his recommended tubes and enjoy and then when some time goes by go get the ones I listed and when you plug them in and listen you will be wholly smokes.

Better tubes go a long - long - long way! Truly great tubes (i like the blue label 6201 Valvo's also just not as warm) are def worth the added expense IMO for sure!

Awesome stuff though. I am surprised that KWA150 SE bettered the those killer M600. I assume the M600 is warmer. Maybe the more warmth you like less. Either way the tubes I listed are better at everything in every regard but they will warmer than the Tungs so you could go with the blue label 6201 Valvo over white label PQ Amperex pinched waist 6922 either will be incredible and much better than the Tungs. Good luck !!!

Fsmithjack,

Thank you again for making some great and thought provoking recommendations. I never dared myself into experimenting with tube mods. I bought Raysonic CD-128 with class A triode vacuum tube (4x6922 triodes tubes - Russian) few years back. And left it as is cause it sounded pretty good out of the box. As of last year, I added components that are bit more revealing. I have been trying to build a system that is musical, tonally accurate and dynamic.

I added M600's earlier this year to my 803s, nice upgrade from CA-2200. The CA-2200 was more than adequate for 803s; M600 was purchased in anticipation of next big thing. Adding 800D2's was a huge step and quantum leap. To my surprise, despite of its good virtues M600 tapped out in the bottom end with 800D's.

I looked at Krell, Pass Labs, Simaudio and Ayre before settling down with Modwrights. Like M600, KWA150 SE treble is open, detailed and natural. The sound is consistent across a vast array of frequencies. What separated KWA from M600 is its deep bass, that is just tuneful, agile and full in level.

Like you suggested, I am going to spend some time with Elyse and venture into the exciting world tube mods in near future.

Let the fun begin!
Hey Fsmithjack,

My Aurender dealer tells me that I need to slave a PC or Mac to rip music and download hi res files? I prefer to stay away from PC or MAC in my HT setup but it looks like I don't have a choice if I want to rip music.

Aurender N100 is capable of streaming DSD files, so why do I need to download DSD files?

Just to recap, I am putting together following digital setup -

Aurender N100H - equipped with 2TB SSD drive
Modwright Elyse DAC

I also own a Olive 4HD that have about 1TB of music. At some point I would like to transfer music to Aurender internal drive and dispose off Olive. I don't see any point keeping Olive with subpar audio.

Do you have any suggestions on how to transfer off music from Olive? I have all the music backed up in a portable USB drive (FAT32 format). Not sure if Aurender is capable of reading music from USB drive. I guess I will find out once I have the Aurender in-house.