Any comments on DAC directly to Power amp with no

Do you have any comments of running a DAC directly to power amplifier with no preamp? I can think of several advantages to not using a preamp but would really like your opinion, since, it seems, many of us are opting to go direct these days.

For example, let us assume the DAC goes straight into the power amp's XLR inputs; the DAC's volume control is digital, runs in 32 bits (or 24bits) and is very well implemented.

I have been told that some users do not like the idea of running a volume control well down in its range so use fixed attenuators but many have reported a loss of SQ in the process. Others have stated that they prefer the sound through a preamp stage. And, as expected, others state the sound quality is improved when the preamp is eliminated.

I hope to test these options, with and without the pre-amp, shortly and am interested in hearing about your experiences.

Any comments on this would be appreciated.
hgeifman
I have tried this dac straight in several times and always gone back to my pre. Plus I have 3 sound sources. Got to use a pre for that. I have a Shindo Auriges pre and it totally transformed the sound of my system for the good.
You are going to try it so do what sounds the best. Asking the question here is really a waste of time because you will get many different answers
Alan
Your amp is reported to be a very nice sounding Class A design. However the 42K ohm input impedance is IMO on the fence for going DAC-direct. Not bad, but higher would be better.
If you look at the threads about passive vs. active preamps you will get a sense for the different sonic characteristics associated with the two approaches.
As pointed out above, there are many variables not the least of which is the quality of the preamp. Other factors include the volume control implementation coming from the DAC or whether an auto former or transformer volume control is used, among many other considerations.
One DAC that is supposed to have a very well-implemented volume control is the Empirical Audio Overdrive SE, and I am sure there are others.
At the end of the day, you will have to use your ears to make this type of choice.
In addition to the factors mentioned above by Czarivey, it often comes down to the quality of the active preamp you're considering. It is therefore recommended that you try it both ways in a given system to determine which way you prefer, as well as whether the additional cost of the preamp is justified.