primer on buying vintage tubes?

Dear all-

I recently started to tiptoe into tube rolling--replacing the 6922 stock tubes in my headphone amp etc.

I am curious as to why vintage tubes are often preferred to the new ones? Why would older tubes sound better?

And even more pressing, I'm curious about best practices for buying vintage tubes. I recently came across a pair on ebay that were not labeled NOS but the seller did say the had been measured on a tube tester and had 100% emission. If this a safe bet? Is it better to buy NOS? Is it better yet to deal with a vendor like Upscale Audio?

Thanks for any insights! Margot
mcanaday
In the days before solid state, electronics devices needed tubes to perform their various functions. There were many factories around the world manufacturing tubes, the quality was high, and the sonic signature of each brand was different. Germany, Holland, England, USA were very high quality tubes due to the fact that the military was a main purchaser for their electronics.

Now to modern times, there are very few manufacturers of tubes left, mostly Russia and former Soviet bloc countries (who have always made tubes for their military), and the newcomer for worldwide distribution; China.

That is why audiophiles in general prefer NOS for certain applications. NOS = New Old Stock, but don't start thinking these are brand spanking new tubes sitting on a shelf since 1940 or 50. It just means they had minimal use and were put back in the box for resale. You should only buy from reputable venders, and that usually comes from "word of mouth," who measure the specs of each tube in their inventory. These tubes usually have high quality readings and a trusted vender will have a warranty (usually 30 days to try the tube).
Welcome to the dark side. Choose wisely. ;~)

There are some excellent new production tubes,
particularly power tubes like Gold Lion and Valve Art.
For smaller tubes like 6922 and all of the 12A*7
varieties, most people prefer older production.

The upside of dealing with someone like Brent Jessee or
Upscale or Jim Cross is that you will probably never get
a BAD tube. The down side is that you will pay top
dollar for every tube. There are plenty of reputable
individuals selling tubes here and even on eBay.

Use the same guidelines that you would if you were buying
a piece of hardware, check feedback and explore multiple
options. Google is your friend. Do searches on whatever
tube you are looking at.

Joe's Tube Lore on audioasylum.com is dated, but has good
information on the types of tubes that it covers.

If you can, make friends with somebody with more
experience. That's how I got in so deep.

You can contact me if you think I can help. The main
thing to remember is ENJOY THE MUSIC.
Ebay sells garbage Vintage Tube Services sells the best and Andy is very honest.