HELP WITH A PREAMP DECISION

Sometimes one just needs to make an upgrade for reasons that are purely emotional. The system is Krell 402e, Veloce LS-1, Esoteric K-01, Revel Salon2, Stealth Indra IC cables, Siltech LS-100 speaker cables.

Just lately for no apparent reason the system sounds a bit harder than it used to. I believe that one's perception of a system changes over time.

I am considering exploring either new or different tubes for the Veloce. But would anyone care to recommend a new preamp for me. Before the Veloce I had a BAT Rex pre and it sounded great, but the Veloce sounded better after a long term audition period of several weeks.

But I am up for a change. . . .recommendations most appreciated.
huntermusic
No idea what to do with the money?
Go for Pass Labs or Spectral or Mark Levinson or Dartzeel or Shindo or Lamm or McIntosh or MBL or Chord or Burmester or Ayre or NAD or Sim Audio or Bryston or Linn or Accuphase or Naim or .....
I would think about changing your source first. I always thought that Esoteric Dac's were a little leaner and brighter than what I care for.
HI Huntermusic,

Is your upgrade limited to consideration of the preamp? Also, what is your budget?

If you are only looking at the preamp (and I am assuming you only need a line stage), some options you may want to consider in the ~$20-25k price range include the SmC VRE-1C, the Doshi Alaap 3.0, and the Constellation Virgo II. For a little on the higher end, the the Ypsilon PST-100 Mk.II may also be worth your consideration.

However, I think you would be better served looking at your speakers, and to a lesser extent, your amp. I think you will get a much bigger bang for your upgrade dollar, and will be able to address the "hardness" that you identified.
Hunter-

did you mate the Krell w/ th B.A.T. Rex?
Your gear looks very good, perhaps a change of cabling?
Either all SilTech or all Stealth?

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!