Is new better than old?

I have been looking at upgrading my speakers. I have a budget of around $1,200. There is a plethora of speakers on A’gon and C’list in that range. I did a search of Full Speakers priced between $900 and $1,300 and got a list of over 100 really nice (or not) speakers.

My question is, are the newer speakers in this price range better than the older speakers in this range? Are the newer models with the latest and greatest technology, research and design likely to sound better that a speaker that is 6 or 8 to 12 years old, but when new was twice the price (or more)?

A good example is the 13 year old Vandersteen 3A’s vs two year old Paradigm Studio 60 v4’s. Both of these are around $1,000.

Another example is the Von Schweikert Gen: II at $1,099 vs new ERA D14 at $1,100 (seller says these are half price).

I may not be comparing apples to apples above, but I think you get my point. Is a speaker that cost $4,000 but is 10 – 12 years old better than a two year old speaker that maybe sold for $2,000 when new?

Thanks
ben77059
Many modern transducers are better than vintage. Just that they did make some wonderful transducers back in the day which your now enjoying. Some are still considered to be very hi performing and are copied by some. Model 19s are wonderful. But modern compression drivers and woofers exist that are better. Still for what a model 19 costs one would have to spend much to build better sound. And for under 2k or far less Altecs are 1 of better deals in audio I feel, but there where others brands too Altec wasn't alone. EV JBL RCA bunch of others made wonderful transducers. The modern design thats profitable and except-able by the masses sadly is not a large frame woofer hi-eff loudspeaker with horn. But a slim tower or bookshelf with its many compromises in performance. But this does not mean progress hasn't been made in transducers if it wasn't I would be using my Altecs as my mains not as my 3rd system or just in the ever growing pile of kit...I enjoy them for what they are.
Thanks for all the responses. I think I am going to look for a used speaker that is fairly new. If figure I will be getting some of the newer technology and will be able to get a little more speaker than I could if I went new.
Ben,

That's a good plan!

Some companies provide upgrades to older models.

OHM Acoustics http://www.ohmspeakers.com, for example, has been around over 30 years and provides modern driver upgrades for virtually every speaker they have ever made. Some of these are conventional box designs and some use the Walsh CLS driver technology.

They also offer new drivers in old refurbished cabinets straight from the factory on occasion if you ask, which is a great way to get the latest driver technology at a discount.

Or you can buy old OHMs on ebay for cheap and then have them upgraded afterwards if needed.

Just tossing some ideas out there regarding what is possible.
Some professional musicians will only use vintage speakers in their personal stereo systems.