Is new better than old?

I have been looking at upgrading my speakers. I have a budget of around $1,200. There is a plethora of speakers on A’gon and C’list in that range. I did a search of Full Speakers priced between $900 and $1,300 and got a list of over 100 really nice (or not) speakers.

My question is, are the newer speakers in this price range better than the older speakers in this range? Are the newer models with the latest and greatest technology, research and design likely to sound better that a speaker that is 6 or 8 to 12 years old, but when new was twice the price (or more)?

A good example is the 13 year old Vandersteen 3A’s vs two year old Paradigm Studio 60 v4’s. Both of these are around $1,000.

Another example is the Von Schweikert Gen: II at $1,099 vs new ERA D14 at $1,100 (seller says these are half price).

I may not be comparing apples to apples above, but I think you get my point. Is a speaker that cost $4,000 but is 10 – 12 years old better than a two year old speaker that maybe sold for $2,000 when new?

Thanks
ben77059

One of my alternative systems uses tower speakers made by Phase Technologies. They were introduced in the early to mid 90s. 94-96 as I recall. Sold for close to $3K per pair back then... 15 years ago.

Anyone know what $2600 to $2900 of 1996 money equals in todays market?

BTW... they play great! No troubles so far, all orig. Definiitely not the prettiest pair out there but sonically speaking? no artifacts at all. Very nice.

I paid $600 or $700 for them from a local member here in my area, 5 or 6 years ago.

Personally, I'd see if whichever ones got your eye now, can be refitted.... redone, etc... or if still supported by the manufacturer. if not, the risk then will be altering their sound by use of non OEM parts. In the X over, this cuold be a good thing.

I was quite lucky I believe and was able to hear these first. I wasn't thrilled by how they sounded given the gear they were attached to at the audition, but am quite glad I bought them.

BTW Phase Tech still supports them too! For $350 + ship, I can have all drivers and OEM x over rpplaced with new ones.

I'm not saying here go get PT speakers... just some thoughts you might want to think about.

Good luck.
I think your best bet, performance for $ is going to be with a used speaker (if it is in good shape). Von Schweikert and Vandersteen make GREAT speakers and are great examples of where to look. Good luck.
Thank you all for the responses. Here are a few things I found locally that I can listen to before I buy. What are your thoughts? I don't know the age of any of these.

Usher CP-6381 $1,399
Energy Veritas 2.4 $1,480
B&W CDM 7 NT $1,200

If I wanted to go cheaper, there is Paradigm Studio 80 for $650 or really stretch the budge, there is Von Schweikert vr-4 jr mk2 for $2,950.

Thanks again.
If you want a new loudspeaker in your price range that punches well above its weight, try the DCM TFE-200s, at $1K/pr. Here's a link:
http://www.mitekfactoryoutlet.com/products/brand.cfm?Cat=18&Brand=6&ProdType=18
I believe they are sold direct only, with a 30-day return option. I've heard them and was extremely impressed.
Ben, there's no rule of thumb but if you stretch the budge (sic) you'll be glad you did years later when you're still enjoying your speakers. Personally, I've found that when I
make compromises, price over performance, the upgrade bug hits faster and harder. Also, quality components have a much
higher resale value. So, think about the heritage of the line
you buy. Vintage products are sometimes expensive because they
have become collectibles among audiophiles due to their reputation for quality.