Musical Speakers - If you like that sort of thing.

I love it when people will post that a particular speaker may not be the most neutral or accurate or resolving, but it sure is musical. Ummm...why do audiophiles want speakers that are less musical? "My speakers make most music sound like rubbish, but they're the best I've ever heard".
jaxwired
Marty, well said. I totally agree. However, I think that most audio hobbyist are balancing both interests. They are pursuing ulitimate accuracy, but they are also pursuing musical enjoyment. I mean if you've got zero interest in musical enjoyment and it's all about accuracy, you might as well be listening to test tones or something like that. And yes, I know that some people do. I've been to audio shows and wondered why we were listening to south american wood mouse mating calls. But for most people, I would guess that a big part of the goal of getting accuracy is because increased accuracy results in increased musical enjoyment. If that's not a big part of their goal now, it surely was when they started in the hobby.

This is true for me. I got into this hobby because I love music and a high quality system delivered better music. So for me, having the most musical system is the ultimate goal. No other goal really makes sense to me.
The longer I'm at this the more I could care less.about neutrality.

I want it to sound good to my ears at even the loudest volumes.

I want my music full, rich and never thin and fatiguing. Full bodied and room filling are also a must.The bass can be little loose or the highs a little rolled off etc...

In the end it better sound good to me even if it has to add or subtract from the recording to sound pleasing.
Grannyring,

I share your wants but am not very forgiving in regards to loose bass, etc.

Few speakers I can afford other than the OHM omni's I have run for years satisfy these wants for me yet most consider them to be very neutral.
In broad terms the purpose of home audio reproduction is to recreate, as closely as reasonably possible, the perception of hearing a live performance. So-called "accuracy" that does not serve this goal is either irrelevant or incomplete.

Duke
dealer/manufacturer
Cannot define live sound as that depends on so many things that it is impossible to get a base point.

Many live events sound aweful and others heavenly.

Great sound to my ears is what this passion is all about. The only base standard that works is one's own preference.