Better 2-channel music

My system consists of the Marantz SR7007, a pair of Emotiva XPA-1 mono blocks, Emotiva XPA-3 for center and surround, Rythmik 15HP sub, Oppo 103, Focal 1000 Be II series front and center, Infinity IL10 surround and back. I listen music from CD and different digital sources and movies from bluray DVD and Netflix, Amazon... My complaint is the Marantz doesn't deliver the quality of 2-channel audio as I expected. My plan is to upgrade either to Emotiva XMC-1 or Marantz AV8802. All suggestions and advices will be greatly appreciated.
128x128philkoan
After I bought a pair of Focal Electra 1038be II then the Focal Electra 1000be center, I gradually added Emo XPA-2, Emo XPA-1s, and the Emo XPA-5 will be delivered today. I chose Emotiva amps because they are good enough but didn't break my bank. Now it's the time to give the Marantz SR7007 a new home (upstars). The Marantz AV8801 is definitely a steal for $1495 although I can get the Marantz AV8802 for $3200, more than twice the AV8801 with just a few atmos movies. Just as Bob recommended, just live with the AV8801 for three years, then move to 8802 or 8803.
My second option is add a good CD player such as Cambridge Audio 851 series and a good stereo preamp or run directly to the Emo XPA-1. What do you think?
"The Marantz AV8801 is definitely a steal for $1495 although I can get the Marantz AV8802 for $3200, more than twice the AV8801 with just a few atmos movies. Just as Bob recommended, just live with the AV8801 for three years, then move to 8802 or 8803.
My second option is add a good CD player such as Cambridge Audio 851 series and a good stereo preamp or run directly to the Emo XPA-1. What do you think?
Philkoan (Threads | Answers | This Thread)"

I won't speak for the others, but at this point, I can't help. Now were back to what Bob recommends? Yesterday Bob told you that you were imaging the improvements you heard. In this hobby, the only learning comes from experience. Bob hasn't done that yet. And its not my opinion either. I can quote him where he fully admits he does not listen to a piece of equipment to tell how it sounds. All he needs to do is look at the specs. That's a talent that I don't have, so I'll leave you in his hands.
I was using an Emotiva UMC-1 for my 2 channel and home theater.

When I added a Conrad Johnson ET3se with home theater bypass it was at the time the biggest improvement ever in my 2 channel sound. I was truly amazed at what a good 2 channel preamp could do. Really night and day when you went back and forth comparing the sound.

The only improvement that could compare was when I went analog and spent $11000 on a turntable, cartridge and phone pre amp.
Come to Pittsburgh and I'll run my 105 direct into Mac amps or monoblock tube amps. Virtually any pre-amp we put into the chain will change the sound, usually for the better. Any quality pre will have a better volume control and add some gain as well. The Oppo has a volume for convenience but isn't touted as a preamp dvd.
The Oppo is phenomenal as an everything player and eliminates a ton of clutter.
Final note: Paul McGowan of PS Audio did a personal study last year and appeared to surprise himself that adding a pre-amp into the mix usually helped the system.
Elevick, I have 2 offers from an audio-HT store: The Mac MX121 for $4800 or the Marantz AV8802 for $3200. I can also upgrage to the Marantz AV8801 and either Conrad Johnson ET3se (pair with my current Oppo 103) or Cambridge- Azur 851C (better CD player, not as good as Conrad Johnson preamp). I watch movies from bluray and Netflix and listen to music from all different sources.