SMS-1 Questions

I just purchased 2 Rythmik F12 subs to integrate into my MO system. My speakers are full range. If I purchase an SMS-1 for DRC, what would be the most effective way to use it. Do I need a TV in the room for it to be effective, or will it display to a laptop?
ehoehn
Kal,

I'm sure you and Marty are correct, but when I installed mine I just let it do what it did automatically. My plan was to get back and tweak it, but I have yet to do so, and my Velodyne HGS-15 sounds pretty good and seems to blend seamlessly with my KEF 104/2s with the 80 Hz crossover.

db
There are many routes to satisfaction and some appeal to different people differently. Still, in this day and age of sophisticated bass management and roomEQ/subEQ, some traditional configurations might be reconsidered. In fact, one can probably get better, more integrated, more even and more convincing bass from 2 mono-signal subs, placed carefully and balanced/EQ-ed properly, than from stereo subs whose placement is constrained by the placement of the main L/R speakers.

There are a few relevant "white papers" from Harman on this.

Kal
Kal,

So it sounds like you are saying the SMS-1 with a mono signal to both might be the way to go rather than getting the Auddysey and having to add some sort of cross-over to compensate for the latend delay?
If I were to use the SMS-1 and wanted to let my mains run full, what would be the best way to hook-up the SMS-1?
Use a pair of Y cables from the preamp to split off the L/R signals for the SMS-1. (I cannot remember if one can use the SMS-1 to do this but that might be possible.) There is a small delay introduced by the SMS-1 but that is folded in with the rest of the adjustment you will do to integrate the subs with the main speakers. However, you should also use the SMS-1 display to assist you in placing the subs as optimally as possible before invoking the EQ.

Frankly, I would prefer real bass management with delay/level/crossover including a HP filter for the main speakers but that does not seem to be where you are going.