SMS-1 Questions

I just purchased 2 Rythmik F12 subs to integrate into my MO system. My speakers are full range. If I purchase an SMS-1 for DRC, what would be the most effective way to use it. Do I need a TV in the room for it to be effective, or will it display to a laptop?
ehoehn
Digital Room Correction. OK. I do not think it is a common abbreviation.

As for letting it do its thing without a display, that is a real problem since the autoEQ function is woefully inferior to the manual EQ with the SMS-1. IIRC, the autoEQ will not change the default F or Q of the filters, only the amplitude, making it no more effective than a graphic EQ.

Kal
Kal is dead right.
Manual operation is a MUST with the SMS-1.
It will take some time to get the hang of it (this is work), but after a while it's fairly painless. The payoff is absolutely worth the effort.

BTW, I use a Sony wireless TV - S video connection - which means that only a microphone cable must be strung across the room and pluged/unplugged for calibration. I do kill the TV transmitter when I'm done calibrating.

It's kind of embarassing, but I do get a bit of a kick from the measuring/calibrating process. The inner geek can be a hard thing to control.

Marty
Ehoehn,

I should add one thing: You have to want to do this.

There are a bunch of parameters that can (and - for optimal results - must) be varied for the sub's high cut function, while the trial/error process with parametric EQ is (almost) infinitely variable and extremely time consuming. There are LOTS of combinations to try and many, many test runs will be checked and rejected before you find a satisfying mix. Then you can start tweaking.

Being the somewhat compulsive type, I actually developed a taste for the process. (I'm pretty sure that there is treatment available for this.) If this doesn't sound appealling, I'd say that the SMS isn't for you.

If you follow through, it is rewarding. OTOH, the SVS/Audyssey box (more sophisticated auto calibration) probably gets you to substantially the same place with a LOT less work (although it costs a fair bit more). Different courses...

Good Luck

Marty
Thanks Marty,

Does the Audyssey provide stereo bass or would I need 2 as well (like the SMS-1)
In looking at the options it appears that the biggest drawback to the SMS-1 is that it does not truly process stereo subs. It nulls them to one signal. Thus for true stereo bass you would need 2 units. The SVS AS-EQ1 does allow for stereo, but also has a 7.5 ms electrical latency which requires either placing your subs 8.4 feet closer to the listening position than the mains, or purchasing a digital cross-over to compensate for the delay. There does not seem to be a single solution for DREQ of the subs. Is any one aware of any others? I have truly full range speakers with their own powered Low frequency Modules.