Subs and the quest for bass.

I recently picked up a Rythmik Audio F12SE subwoofer to compliment my B&W 805S. Happy with it, and the Rythmik has very musical bass. I am using an active crossover (NHT-X2 crossing at 80hz) and a Velodyne SMS-1 sub equalizer to even out the low end response. (I have a lot of bass modes.) The SMS-1 is very useful, and with help of quite a bit of EQ, my low end response is almost perfectly flat.

While it sounds great, I keep wondering how different the sound would be if I didn't have to use so much EQ. Then I started thinking maybe I should add another sub? When I started I told myself I would not do it. Also I had so much trouble getting good placement and setup with the first sub, I don't know if I even want to further complicate things.
nemesis1218
Nem,

I've thought about the "how to" issue with stereo subs and a pair of SMS-1s, but never actually tried it, so I can't really say. At these low frequencies (i.e. crossing below 100hz), I really don't think that you'll hear any impact from stereo subs.

If you want to test that theory, find a highend HT store that will set up a pair of subs for you in a way that allows you to kill the main speakers and listen to the subs alone. Then have a shot at the balance control. I tried (a variation of) this test and decided that stereo subs didn't matter to me. Of course, YMMV.

BTW, I'm pretty confident that the SVS/Audyssey does true stereo/independent channel sub signal EQ which solves the issue.

Marty
So i got my second rythmik... Having some problems. I actually had to EQ MORE with 2 subs. Is it maybe becuase of my non symmetric room setup? Also even though everything is EQed to flat just like it was before, it seems like I have slightly less bass now. The only real benefit I've noticed so far is the sub is I can no longer localize the subs.
Here is a pic of how I have the subs set up right now in my room:
http://i42.tinypic.com/1zf518h.jpg

The subs are placed symmetrically, but as you can see, one corner of my room sticks out farther than the other (about 2 feet) I'm wondering if this is causing me problems. Any suggestions?
Hi Nemesis, I see that you are measuring your system with the SMS. I find that this system is resolution limited, amongst a few other problems. The main problem though is the lack of ability to save graphs.

You asked, "any suggestions?"

May I suggest that you try the FREE program REW available at the Home Theater Shack. You allready have a mic, meter and Laptop. All you need then is to download the new version 5, which just came out, for FREE. Then you will be able to post pictures of your response and help will be easier to dispense.

Bob