Subs and the quest for bass.

I recently picked up a Rythmik Audio F12SE subwoofer to compliment my B&W 805S. Happy with it, and the Rythmik has very musical bass. I am using an active crossover (NHT-X2 crossing at 80hz) and a Velodyne SMS-1 sub equalizer to even out the low end response. (I have a lot of bass modes.) The SMS-1 is very useful, and with help of quite a bit of EQ, my low end response is almost perfectly flat.

While it sounds great, I keep wondering how different the sound would be if I didn't have to use so much EQ. Then I started thinking maybe I should add another sub? When I started I told myself I would not do it. Also I had so much trouble getting good placement and setup with the first sub, I don't know if I even want to further complicate things.
nemesis1218
Nope.
Summed with common EQ. Works fine (for me, anyway) when crossed at 75 hz.

Marty
If I were to go the stereo bass route, how would I eq for 2 subs? Each sub would be getting it's own singal (right sub gets the right channel signal, left gets left) What process should I use for EQing? After level matching the subs, should I just EQ them together to get a combined flat response? What I am wondering about though, is if a certain track has the bass on one side of the soundstage, then it will only come out of one sub, right? wouldn't that make it no longer have a flat response?
Nem,

I've thought about the "how to" issue with stereo subs and a pair of SMS-1s, but never actually tried it, so I can't really say. At these low frequencies (i.e. crossing below 100hz), I really don't think that you'll hear any impact from stereo subs.

If you want to test that theory, find a highend HT store that will set up a pair of subs for you in a way that allows you to kill the main speakers and listen to the subs alone. Then have a shot at the balance control. I tried (a variation of) this test and decided that stereo subs didn't matter to me. Of course, YMMV.

BTW, I'm pretty confident that the SVS/Audyssey does true stereo/independent channel sub signal EQ which solves the issue.

Marty
So i got my second rythmik... Having some problems. I actually had to EQ MORE with 2 subs. Is it maybe becuase of my non symmetric room setup? Also even though everything is EQed to flat just like it was before, it seems like I have slightly less bass now. The only real benefit I've noticed so far is the sub is I can no longer localize the subs.
Here is a pic of how I have the subs set up right now in my room:
http://i42.tinypic.com/1zf518h.jpg

The subs are placed symmetrically, but as you can see, one corner of my room sticks out farther than the other (about 2 feet) I'm wondering if this is causing me problems. Any suggestions?