McIntosh MA5200

I haven't seen too much written about this integrated amp. Any opinions out there?
jimmymac
"To Jimmymac, follow your initial instincts and be leery of this model. Don't listen to me but do take Effischer's advice seriously - he is a Mac owner and doesn't recommend it. Good luck to you Jimmymac."

Now does that really make sense? You're proving my point that you just want to be right at any cost. Why take Effischer's advice seriously, but not yours? You just happen to offer the same advice. The way I see it, no one has to take anyones advice. We have the OP's speakers and specs, as well the info on the potential amp. The match seemed questionable so we have Stereophiles review of the speakers that includes measurements. JA's measurements show the speakers to be an easy load for just about any amp. We have the measurements on the amp from the German magazine showing the amp is fully capable driving a 4 ohm load. So what more do you want? Its a relatively simple call. You're just pissed because you wanted to be the spec guy and you turned out to be wrong. You made the call without knowing the OP's speakers and you turned out to be wrong. Better luck next time.

I'll bring this up one last time. Over and over you say I don't trust reviews. You're correct. I don't trust reviews. Its too hard for someone to put into words exactly how something sounds. Factor in their personal taste, experience and equipment, and you have an equation that I don't feel you can rely on. At no point in this discussion did I reference a review. Measurements are not reviews. Its not the reviewers opinion that the Mac amp put out 200 watts into a 4 ohm load. He took a measurement, and those were the results.

You may have the last word on this. I don't have anything else to say on the matter that I didn't already say several times. The only thing I'll add it to Effischer. In the first part of my post, I mentioned you. It wasn't meant to be an insult or anything similar. I was just making the point that with all the info the OP has, he doesn't need to take anyones advice on this matter.
Hi folks. Thanks for the input. I contacted McIntosh via email and Chuck Hinton replied that the 5200 would work just fine with 4ohm speakers. I need to go and listen and hear for myself. Again, I appreciate the feedback. I'm the type of Audiogoner who like high end sound but doesn't always understand a lot of the science behind the specs. :)
"I'm the type of Audiogoner who like high end sound but doesn't always understand a lot of the science behind the specs. :)"

Its like my dead grandmother always said: "You don't have to be a scientist to listen to music."
jimmymac - your Special 25s are very special. Don't you work for McIntosh filling the tar pots?

I've run a MA5200 with Legacy Audio Signature SE 4 ohm speakers now for 6 months. This was with McIntosh supports blessing that it would drive them or I would not have purchased it. It runs super cool, never hot, almost no heat at all. I hooked up a MA7900 and the volume knob percentage numberĀ is exactly the same . That tells me that it is putting out 200wpc at 4 ohms. The MA5200 sounds better to me than the autoformer unit. Nice mellow sound, not over done at the top but very clear and musical, it sounds like a Mc. I preferred it over the MAC6700 also with these speakers. I think they like the direct connect more than the autoformer. McIntosh does not want to put it in competition with their other 200wpc and more expensive units in my opinion so no ratings other than 8ohms.