Skiing Ninja Magnepan 1.6 xover upgrade

emil
Thanks guys

You guys are giving me the impression that these are way over priced. What would you expect to pay if I did it myself?
How much for DIY? That sure depends......and depends.

Are you going to go wacky and buy the most expensive caps? OR will you be happy with middle of road.... say Clarity SA?
Connectors? Budget or over the top?

I've been looking into this and the Inductor is the BIG hangup. To get the same or similar DCR (DC resistance) as the stock unit in an aircore, you need the RIGHT inductor. If you go to say....10ga. you can get extremely LOW DCR values. Using 16ga, too high. Do you want foil or traditional magnet wire?
I am NOT a crossover designer, so do NOT know how much this value matters or if the material choice makes much difference in a correctly potted inductor.

So, to answer your question, you can spend a Bundle and may not end up with what you want. There are probably a dozen makers of hi-end caps. Some are flat, others the traditional cylinder. Theory abounds with some good and ?able science thrown in.

That the original crossovers are built to a price is beyond question. The real question is can you improve them and for how much? DON'T forget that you will end up paying near-list for the parts, even with your 'I'm good looking' discount, so will only save on labor and markup.

Here is the Peter Gunn site. Tops.

http://www.indiespinzone.com/mag/mag12.html
I did my 12s to Peter Gunns specs for approx $300.00 including boxes. The boxes were nothing special,just craft boxes that the capacitors fit in(some are huge).