high end speakers? ... not sure what brands/model

Hi,
I have a new (6 mo old) set of Paradigm Studio-20 speakers in my living room.
They sound great to me. However, I hear so much about other top brands and models ... it is almost dizzying trying to keep them all straight!

Anyway, I was wondering how far I was from a top-level speaker experience.
Are my speakers pretty good or should I think about upgrades?

I listen to jazz, folk, classical, some rock, etc. I have a Naim Nait 5i amp.

I really enjoy quality sonics at modest output levels.

Thanks,
Rob
albireo13
They seem a bit heavy on the high side. I want it a bit richer in the low end ... smooth bass, etc.
They do sound nice but, seemed to sound better in the shop.
Perhaps it's mostly my room. Can't mod the room too much, it's our formal living room.

Maybe I can add a sub.

Rob
Disagree completely with the horn guy. Horns are interesting, but vintage klipsh speakers are far from neutral.

Based on your last comment, I'd try Dynaudio. The have rich bass and a smooth treble.
I apologize for not proofreading my initial post. I meant to say that "Your speakers are definitely ABOVE average in the grand scheme of things, as is your amp." You have a nice system that bests that of most people, and uses high-value components.

I'm not sure what you mean by wanting more "richness" in the bottom end. Do you mean more bass weight? If so, maybe your best option is to add a subwoofer to shore up the low frequencies.

Take your time, and try to audition speakers in your own room, as that will give you a much better sense of how they will perform in the context of your system and room.

Michael
Albireo13 03-20-10
Anyway, I was wondering how far I was from a top-level speaker experience.
Are my speakers pretty good or should I think about upgrades?

To answer your question, imo you are a long way from a top level speaker experience. Your speakers are "entry level decent." Now, you could try matching them with an amp that helps them to sound as good as they were in the "shop.". Obviously the Naim is not a satisfying match for them. Or, if you want to go to a "top-level" speaker then you need to get out and hear some top level speakers at high end dealers and pick what you love. Then after you find speakers (I assume monitors) you love, find an amp that is a great match for them. This is what I've learned from Goners with experience. Now, if you plan to buy speakers used here, of course you can't audition. Then you want to by a well known and popular name brand at a good price so if you don't like them you can sell and recoup most or all of your investment. I think the Dynaudio suggestion is very good.