Dynaudio Confidence C1 broken & Cap question

Last night we sat down to listen to some music. I quickly noticed something was amiss. Sound was tilted toward one side and figured I had a cable or tube issue. After about 20 minutes of swapping cables and tubes and generally getting paranoid that my Pass Labs 350.5 amp was broken I swapped speaker placement and discovered that one of the midrange drivers was dead. That was somewhat of a relief.

Having purchased these used I took the offending speaker apart. After unsoldering the driver from the cross over board I checked the driver with a 9 volt battery and noted no cone movement. The wires are still secure but something is definitely wrong here. I called Dynaudio this morning and got the impression that because I don't have a receipt, other than AG, they are not going to help me. I'm waiting to hear from tech support. Anyone have any experience with used, broken, expensive equipment and refused support?

If in fact they do and I don't end up with a mono system, I was wondering about the Solen caps on the x-over and a possible upgrade to platinums. Any thoughts on this?
128x128desalvo55
Rleff - Bill's a very nice guy. He doesn't think he can help me knowing the driver. He seemed shocked at the cost as was I. He wants to see a few pics before he can access damage and repair-ability.

I spoke with Amilios at Dynaudio. We had a nice conversation regarding the setup and power handling. He mentioned that the C1's really don't need the high power most folks talk about on the forums. I found that the Pass works far better than the Nuforces but then again I appear to have a meltdown from to much power or to loud a volume.

Now I'm more inclined to limit the C1's with a crossover.

My feeling is that Dynaudio will try to help me with this problem if I can produce a receipt. I bought them from an A-goner with stellar credentials so I'm hopeful he was a first time owner. I'll keep you posted.
Hope it works out with the original owner for a copy of the receipt;I was shocked also when I saw the $$$ for the replacement also;nice to see a company trying to work with you as well;hope it all goes in your favor.
Dynaudio spells out that their warranty is transferable within the first 5 years of ownership with some of their more expensive line like your C1 I think, IF you can produce the original receipt.

If you can take the speaker apart, why did not you order the C1 woofer and replace the OEM woofer yourself? It is cheaper that way.

I am not surprised at the expensive quote since labor costs in America and Denmark are expensive.

Dynaudio drivers are known to be hand wound and assembled in Denmark and thus they are usually more expensive than their competitors who outsource their drivers to China.

Maybe they are thinking that since you can afford to buy nonbudget or entry level speakers like the C1, you should be able to afford their services. My silly analogy is this if you can afford a BMW 3XX series then you should be able to afford a $600 routine oil change. Ever wonder why so many folks lease their BMW and turn them back to the factory after the lease terms expired?

I don't know if this will make you feel better but a guy I know busted one of the tweeters of his China made PSB T45 floorstanders shortly after his warranty expired.

Everyone knows that PSB 's made their speakers & parts exclusively in China but they still charged my friend $75 just for the tweeter alone. I think PSB charged a little bit over $150 for labor.

Dynaudio NA charged you a bit high but not because they want to make $$$ from you I don't think. It is just the labor costs in America & Denmark are too damn expensive.

The only way to save some $$ is check with the original owner of the C1 and ask him if he has time to dig up the receipt for you.

"If you can take the speaker apart, why did not you order the C1 woofer and replace the OEM woofer yourself? It is cheaper that way."

An OEM C1 woofer?
I did take the speaker apart. I pulled the driver myself and enquired about the repair as no one I know carries this exclusive driver.

The original owner is digging up the original receipt so it's possible to get some compensation from Dynaudio.

I've never had a driver failure and I've been doing this for 44 years. I was pretty amazed that the Dynaudio driver died without a clear cause such as miswire or runaway volume control.

My experience in the past with performance audio company's customer service is that they'll bend over backwards to make things right. I had blown up a Nuforce amp a few years ago. They took my amp, replaced the board the same day and charged me nothing even though it was entirely my fault. The same day!

We'll see how this turns out.