Dynaudio Confidence C1 broken & Cap question

Last night we sat down to listen to some music. I quickly noticed something was amiss. Sound was tilted toward one side and figured I had a cable or tube issue. After about 20 minutes of swapping cables and tubes and generally getting paranoid that my Pass Labs 350.5 amp was broken I swapped speaker placement and discovered that one of the midrange drivers was dead. That was somewhat of a relief.

Having purchased these used I took the offending speaker apart. After unsoldering the driver from the cross over board I checked the driver with a 9 volt battery and noted no cone movement. The wires are still secure but something is definitely wrong here. I called Dynaudio this morning and got the impression that because I don't have a receipt, other than AG, they are not going to help me. I'm waiting to hear from tech support. Anyone have any experience with used, broken, expensive equipment and refused support?

If in fact they do and I don't end up with a mono system, I was wondering about the Solen caps on the x-over and a possible upgrade to platinums. Any thoughts on this?
128x128desalvo55
I was running my C1's with a pair of Nuforce 9SEV2's and noted that on some material, I could hear the cone having issues that was not pleasant. Deciding that my little copper jewels didn't have the ba, ah, current to drive the C1's, I sold my Nuforces and bought the Pass 350.5. No more weird little issues now but maybe the damage was done earlier.

Still waiting for an email from the Dynaudio folks.

Would like to have a simple method of crossing the Dyn's higher like a change in the x-over. I would think it easily done but I'm no speaker designer. I did grab the values off the caps and still wonder about the platinum bypass caps.
The C1's really sound the best when driven fairly loud. That being said with your amp it's possible to be over driven. I met with 3 Dynaudio reps at my dealer on 2-27 and they told me they have one of the lowest failure rates for speakers. Lowest doesn't mean - zero failures. I'm sure if you send the bad driver back to Dynaudio they can tell you what happened if you get a replacement.

Personally I would not change the crossovers in any way.

BTW I too own a pair of C1's and love them. I can't think of any way to make them sound better.
If not covered by warranty and you think the $$$ are high I would give Bill Legall of Millersound a call;he is one of the most respected repair people in the business and will not stear you wrong.Here is the number if interested
Bill Legall at Millersound, (215) 412-7700;no relationship just a customer who received great advice and service.
mate don't worry you're not the first
i busted all tweeters and drivers for my C1, fcking jeff rowland continuum amp controller got hijacked signal from my tv remote and went max volume
it took less than 7 seconds.
local (australia) dealer quoted me 6600 AUD for replacement.
i think i'll let them suck my ***** for that price

all the best in getting them fixed.
The C1s should be able to handle 300 clean watts. Dyns are known for being strong speakers. My Dyn 52SE & Sub20A (soon to be for sale) hande the wattage from my McIntosh MC252 just fine