Best pre-amp in an integrated

Hello all,

I am building my first hi-fi system on a budget and have a question for you:

For practical purposes, I will start with an integrated amplifier... just to get listening quickly. In the $1-3k range.

But if one day, I wanted to move to separates, is there an integrated amplifier with a pre-amp section that is so good that my best (most audible improvement-to-cost ratio) upgrade path would be to simply add a good power amplifier and use my integrated as a pre only?

Would love to hear Audiogon members' experience with using their integrated amplifier as a preamplifier when upgrading their system over the years.
vsrrr
In your price range, I don't think any integrated has an actual active preamp section. I believe it's only an amplifier with an attenuator to control the volume. Just get a nice integrated within your budget and don't worry about going to separates. You can cross that bridge when you get there.
It seems to me that your best approach might be to decide on speakers 1st. Then select a integrated that compliments them and your tastes. I would stick to an outboard DAC to afford you greater flexibility should you decide to upgrade. May need to consider a DSD capable one.
I am using a YBA passion 100 integrated for a preamp with my passion 600 power amp and it sounds excellent.
I think it's often the plan to add an amp to an integrated, but by the time you buy the amp, you realize you can sell the integrated and buy a preamp better than the preamp in the integrated...
I agree with J135. If separates are a fairly certain future purchase I would buy a used integrated which could be sold at little loss when the upgrade is complete.

Enjoy the quest!