Best pre-amp in an integrated

Hello all,

I am building my first hi-fi system on a budget and have a question for you:

For practical purposes, I will start with an integrated amplifier... just to get listening quickly. In the $1-3k range.

But if one day, I wanted to move to separates, is there an integrated amplifier with a pre-amp section that is so good that my best (most audible improvement-to-cost ratio) upgrade path would be to simply add a good power amplifier and use my integrated as a pre only?

Would love to hear Audiogon members' experience with using their integrated amplifier as a preamplifier when upgrading their system over the years.
vsrrr
What features do you need on the preamp?
Phono,remote,tubes,etc. And how much power do you want on
the amp?
For that money you can go straight to separates. A Yaqin MS-12B preamp with NOS RCA blackplates or Telefunkens will set you back around $600. They honestly sound amazing. Then spend $1500-$2000 on a quality used power amp like a First Watt. Later on you can upgrade the preamp if you feel the need.

If you want to get listening asap and your source has a volume control (and you aren't listening on vinyl) just buy the power amp and plug your source straight in. I'm not one of them, but some people actually prefer running their system without a preamp. Just make sure the source volume is off when you turn everything on otherwise you could blow up your speakers and damage your hearing.
I agree with Robr45, too many unknowns regarding your quest. I few that come to mind:

Your budget range for the integrated is quite wide. A 3K integrated would fit nicely into a 10K system.

What other components do you currently own or are considering?

Are you going to build a system to accommodate the future purchase of separates and using the integrated as a short term bridge?

What is the perceived budget for the system with separates installed?
Thanks for the responses guys! I realize I didn't give enough practical details. Ideally I would want to spend a total of ~$2k rather than a full $3k on amplifier/DAC needs. The less I spend here, the more I can spend on speakers.

Source material: almost entirely high-res files (HD Tracks, etc.). Therefore, the idea of buying only a DAC and feeding it straight into a power amplifier has crossed my mind. Not sure if anyone has experience doing this? Good DAC for $500-$1000 with a volume control + Power amp for $1000-$1500.

By some accounts, I should just go with a Peachtree, Wyred4Sound, or Hegel (with built-in DACs) and be done with it
But Rogue Sphinx + Schiit Bifrost or Arcam rDAC has been my plan to beat so far. I figure having at least the DAC separate is the best way to make sure the equipment I purchase now can still be used down the line if/when I decide to upgrade other parts of my system.

I am generally* looking at standmounters by the likes of KEF/ATC/Nola, which is why I have generally omitted most of the tube integrates with less than, say, 70 watts from my search. High efficiency speakers by the likes of Zu/Tekton also seem like a good way to get into HiFi, but I've never had the chance to hear them in person. Dynamics are important to me. Looking for a big soundstage, good imaging, and good (but not perfect) detail (not all my music files are HQ). Not looking for a speaker that anyone would ever call "bright sounding"... overall more about the emotional involvement than chasing absolutely perfect reproduction of my source material.

Rogue Audio's Cronus Magnum has been on my list of integrates to hear for some time now, but I'm not sure how it'll work with the 85-88 dB standmounters.

Only other concern with full tube amps is whether they're the ideal match for my music tastes:
Jazz, 60s/70s Rock, Soul, Funk, Hip Hop, and a bit of House/Techno

In terms of requirements asked for: don't need remote, don't need balance control, definitely don't need a good headphone amp, and don't even really need the phono section. Built-in DAC optional but not required. Seems like you don't find bass/treble controls in integrates, though that does seem like a nice-to-have (but definitely not need-to-have) feature.