Best pre-amp in an integrated

Hello all,

I am building my first hi-fi system on a budget and have a question for you:

For practical purposes, I will start with an integrated amplifier... just to get listening quickly. In the $1-3k range.

But if one day, I wanted to move to separates, is there an integrated amplifier with a pre-amp section that is so good that my best (most audible improvement-to-cost ratio) upgrade path would be to simply add a good power amplifier and use my integrated as a pre only?

Would love to hear Audiogon members' experience with using their integrated amplifier as a preamplifier when upgrading their system over the years.
vsrrr
Too many variables to give you a definitive answer. Most $3k integrateds will have excellent pre and power sections, how they will synergize with other components is hard to tell.
The Rogue Sphinx has an excellent preamp - check out some of the online reviews.
What features do you need on the preamp?
Phono,remote,tubes,etc. And how much power do you want on
the amp?
For that money you can go straight to separates. A Yaqin MS-12B preamp with NOS RCA blackplates or Telefunkens will set you back around $600. They honestly sound amazing. Then spend $1500-$2000 on a quality used power amp like a First Watt. Later on you can upgrade the preamp if you feel the need.

If you want to get listening asap and your source has a volume control (and you aren't listening on vinyl) just buy the power amp and plug your source straight in. I'm not one of them, but some people actually prefer running their system without a preamp. Just make sure the source volume is off when you turn everything on otherwise you could blow up your speakers and damage your hearing.
I agree with Robr45, too many unknowns regarding your quest. I few that come to mind:

Your budget range for the integrated is quite wide. A 3K integrated would fit nicely into a 10K system.

What other components do you currently own or are considering?

Are you going to build a system to accommodate the future purchase of separates and using the integrated as a short term bridge?

What is the perceived budget for the system with separates installed?