Advice on speakers?

Looking for a pair of floor standers in the $1500 to $3000 range. I don't mind used ones. My room is 30'x18'. I will use for both music mainly and home theater. I plan to buy separate pre pro/amp later this year. I have a Nakamichi av-10 now. Thanks.

Joe in Mobile
magsterone
Joe - It was the B&K receiver. To my ears, it was mid-fi for 2 channel but hi-fi for theatre application. I think putting 7 discrete high-powered amps plus a DAC/sound processor, tuner and preamp into a single chassis with a common power supply forces trade-offs that two channel amps do not face. I am suggesting that it is better value to have two separate units for the two different jobs. The same speakers can work for both. By getting high efficiency speakers, you can use a relatively inexpensive tube amp for 2 channel. And the efficient speakers will be less taxing on the receiver so you should get better fidelity out of it. BTW - in my opinion, the ZU speakers are in a different league from the older B&W and Vandersteens that have been mentioned. Just an opinion.
So you are recommending separates, such as amp and separate pre-pro or getting a two channel amp for stereo and a five channel system for home theater? I am sometimes slow and just want to make sure I understand exactly. Thanks.

Joe in Mobile
druids have dropped in value over the past 6 months because of he new model coming out so you shoulld be able to get a great buy on a used pair
Some great speakers out of Europe include DALI Ikon 6s, Dynaudio Excites, and Neat Motives.