Zu Druids - Two years after

Well 2-3 years after all the hype about these speakers have you kept them in your system or have you moved on. In hindsight were they speakers to keep for the long term or just another audio flash in the pan? What has been your experience with them over the long term and other speakers you have had or heard?
ladavid
As I said in my first thread, I was certain this would degenerate into a petty argument. I do not understand why this happens time and time again on this forum.

It is a matter of personal taste what equipment we all prefer and we can all simply pass on our own thoughts and experiences but try and do so in an inoffensive manner. This hobby is like a neverending journey which is what makes it so interesting.

As for the question on the Audiopax, IMHO, they were much better suited to the higher efficiency of the Zus than the Merlins. In fact I only really started seeing what the Audiopax were capable of when I started using the Zus - superb clear midrange, tone, dynamics etc - all the usual hallmarks of using a SET type amp with a high efficiency almost horn type speaker.
None of the Zu speakers are 'almost' 'horn-type' - unless you are counting the waveguide on the super tweeter?

They are not horns at all, front or back-loaded.
I actually enjoy the discussion and differing opinions as a long as it doesn't head into the personal.

There is just something about the Druids that sound so easy and right for me. My first good speakers were late 70's maggies and I am getting some of that feel I first had. I have a couple of other quality speakers around that I really like and that certainly do detail and audio better than the druids but especially with the 300b the sound is so dynamic, reach and touch me, so smooth, and clear. Exactly what I think my source should sound like (an Audio Note 2.1 dac and Accustic Arts transport).

My initial response was the mids are really good, the top end was closed in, and where is the bass (this compared to my other speakers). With about 50 hours on them and still no libtecs yet the highs have opened up and I can see potential at the bottom end (my new 300b amp and tubes have only 20 hours on them so have a long ways to go).

Thanks for all the good discussion - very enjoyable to read.

David
mine are two years old and from a 300b to a dna 500 i sill like 'em.but could use some help on the bottom. my room is 12x12 and filled with racks of records and cds so maybe its 9.5 x 10. any advise on a sub?