Best upgradable system components for under $6K

Hello All,

I plan on upgrading my system with components that I can live with in the short term and the long term (hopefully so I don't have to keep upgrading components as I upgrade my speakers).

I currently have an NAD 356BEE integrated and while it is entry level I must admit it sounds very nice. My room is 14'8" by 20'4" and I currently have a pair of Legacy Classics (not Classic HD). My goal is to make my next big purchase on components in the $6k or less range but I would like to make it a once and for all purchase. In other words I'm looking for something I can live with for 15-20 years without worrying about upgrading.

I would prefer to stay solid state and don't mind having an integrated or pairing separates. New or used also doesn't matter as long as it is a great bang for the bucks. My ultimate goal is to one day be driving a pair of Acoustic Zen Crescendo or Vandersteen Quattro speakers. A 200wpc + consideration would be preferred but I’m flexible on that too lol.

Finally my music selection is a bit diverse. I like jazz, soft rock and new age. Some of my favorites are Dave Matthews, John Mayer, the Wallflowers and John Tesh. I value your opinions highly and would love the community's input on the best component upgrades for my $6k budget.
xerotrace
"03-26-15: Onhwy61
A well designed active system will out perform an equivalent passive system every time. Actives allow for better implementation of crossovers and improved synergy between the amp and the crossover/drivers. Examples are JBL, ATC, Pass and Gradient."

The amp and the speakers still have to be designed as well as the separates in order for that to be true. And that's usually not the case. Can you show me 1 active speaker, at any price, that has a fully balanced, 0 feedback amp that sounds as good as an Ayre V-5, in the same box as a time and phase correct speaker that performs on par with a Vandersteen Trio? An active speaker like that doesn't exist.
03-26-15: Rlwainwright
I hear you, Al, about the Ayre preamps. However, their lowest priced preamp, from what I could see on their website, is right at his stated budget, leaving no money for an amplifier. But I may be wrong about the pricing, please educate me if I am.
RLW, I don't know what the current pricing is, but based on many ads I've seen for used pieces (which the OP indicated he would be receptive to), current versions of the -5 series amp (the V-5xe) and preamp (K-5xeMP) should be findable used for a total of around $6K, and perhaps less. And I'm sure that earlier versions of the V-5 and K-5 can be found for considerably less than that.

I don't doubt that your suggestions are all excellent in their price range, but given the calibre of the speakers the OP ultimately envisions going with, and given his budget, I would expect Ayre to be a better choice.
03-26-15: Xerotrace
I run most of my music from my Laptop using a NAD 1050 DAC so that might also have to be a consideration as well. I honestly don't know how much focus to put on the DAC...
The DAC is certainly important, of course. But the rapid evolution of digital technology these days, and with it the likelihood of continuing improvement in performance per dollar, would seem to suggest that upgrading your integrated amp should take priority. Also, although I have no specific knowledge of the D1050, FWIW its use of asynchronous USB, its claimed 24/192 capability, and the fully balanced analog signal path it apparently has would seem to be encouraging with respect to its use in the near term. As are this review and this one.

Regards,
-- Al
The whole point of an active speaker is that it functions as a single, integrated component. It is more than an amp connected to a driver. Take a look at the Linkwitz floorstander. It is an active loudspeaker system designed to function optimally in a real room.
"03-26-15: Onhwy61
The whole point of an active speaker is that it functions as a single, integrated component. It is more than an amp connected to a driver. Take a look at the Linkwitz floorstander. It is an active loudspeaker system designed to function optimally in a real room."

I understand where you are going with that, but just because a active speaker is well designed, doesn't automatically make it the best choice. You're not taking into account the sound quality of an active speaker. Using the Ayre/Vandersteen example again, how would you find an active speaker that has the same qualities as that combo? Both pieces have a very unique sound. I've never heard another amp, regardless of cost or brand, that has the same sonic qualities as the Ayre V-5. Same thing with Vandersteen. No active speaker that I know of is time and phase correct. So, if you like that combo, you won't be able to duplicate the sound with an active speaker. You'll need to buy the separates. There's just no other way around it. Maybe if Ayre and Vandersteen worked on building an active speaker together they could make it sound like the separates. But that would be it. It won't happen any other way.
Yes Al, I failed to consider the NAD amp/speaker interaction. I just assumed that the OP was satisfied with the sound of of the amp section driving his current speakers and was throwing a little kidding Zd’s way.