paranoid listener-damaging speakers?

I am one of those guys who is always wondering if he is listening too loud for his speakers capability. my system briefly consists of a prima luna prologue 2 integrated, custom eton 2 way speakers with a silk dome tweeter and 8 inch midrange, with a mhdt labs constantine dac. my room is 15x12 feet roughly. i listen about 6 feet away.
I like to listen at a level where i can feel the bass and midbass and feel that the speakers are loud enough to recreate their original acoustic on the recording. is there a rough guide to know if i am listening too loud without a meter? i will occasinally think i hear some distortion on loud passages, but it may be on the recording, i may just be paranoid? advice please? thanks.
djwilbourn
I'M NO EXPERT. BUT IF YOU HEAR DISTORTION, TURN THE VOLUME DOWN. IT'S ALWAYS BETTER TO FIND THE SOURCE AND MAKE ANY NECESSARY CORRECTIONS BEFORE PERMENANT DAMAGE IS DONE. IMHO- DISTORTION IS LIKE A TOOTH ACHE. ADD YOUR OWN CLICHE'S HERE...
I would worry more about damaging your ears. Eton drivers are only $200 each or so. Your ears are priceless. As a rough estimate, try talking at a normal volume level, as if you were talking to someone else in the room. If you can't hear your own voise very well, the music is really loud.
As for your speakers, it is very frequency dependent. The more very low frequency content, the less loud you can play them before they reach their limits. there are at least 2 ways to damage a speaker - emlting the voice coil and bottoming out the voice coil. I'm not swure there's a good way to tell your overheating the voice coil until it's too late. If you hear a buzzing sound or a loud crack on loud deep bass notes, your hitting the voice coil against the magnets, and are at risk of bending the voice coil and ruining the speaker.
When you hear distortion at a loud volume, turn it down a bit to see if you hear the same distortion. If you do, it's the recording. If you don't, you're over driving something in your system.
Not able to shed any further light on your question, but Shadorne's point put something into focus that had been perplexing me for awhile.

"It is not well known but undistorted music can be played much louder without fatigue".

I had recently converted my little entry level Arcam/Magnepan system to a biamp system through an active crossover. Despite the documented gains in power efficiency's (no passive crossovers, etc.) I found myself listening comfortably and enjoyably at much higher levels as judged by the level of attenuation at the preamp.

I had noted the fact, but didn't understand the dynamic. Shadorne's statement just rang so true and explains my observations. Distortion, whether on the recording or in the playback system, really is a factor in percieved volume.

In my case, the distortion was from overdriving the little amplifiers in a non-active system and from the passive crossovers in the speakers. Free of that distortion, I enjoy much higher volumes for longer periods. Put on a highly compressed or poorly recorded track (yes, I do also love mainstream/pop rock like U2 and Audioslave) and I am reaching for the remote to turn down the volume.

Jim S.
You stated, you like to hear and feel the bass, As do I. Your speakers it seems, need alot of volume to start hitting you the way you like it. What you need to do if you wish to keep those speakers, is to add a subwoofer to your system. You will get the bass slam you are looking for without having to crank your speakers to the max. A sub will also give you a nice bass fullness even at low volumes, if that is your desire.