Quads vs Sound Labs vs Maggie 20.1

Any thoughts on the performance aspects,and best amp types?

I am interested in feedback regarding refurbished ESL-63's vs the newer models(I know these are bigger and more dynamic,but are they have that Quad magic?).I've read about some Quad refurbish site about to offer a dipolar woofer,which seems interesting.

Also,the big Sound Labs speakers have never left me overly enthused,but I could have been subject to poor set-up,as these have a loyal following.

What about the big Maggies?I had a friend who modded the 3.6's to amazing effect.Do the 20.1's benefit from after market mods.

Best amps for each speaker?

Thanks in advance
sirspeedy
My Quad63s sounded best with the Jadis 80 monos. Second best were the Jadis 200 monos. A bit of overkill though. The dipolar woofer you mention is probably the Gradient63, made in Finland. I drove them with the 60watt Atmas and the active Gradient x-woofer. They blend perfectly with the Quads, though I know that some people here don't believe this. But hearing is believing.
The big Sound Labs sound wonderful with the MA-2 Mk. III, the Atma-Sphere 220 watt OTLs. If you need more power there is nothing better than the VTL Siegfrieds, unless you want to opt for the huge Atma MA-3, which contrary to the above I have no experience with.
I've heard the big Maggies driven by Spectral 360 monos a couple of years ago and liked what I heard.
Everything else I have in mind is only hearsay.
P.S.: What a coincidence: While I was writing the above, Ralph had put in his post. So thinking I was first, I came in second. Actually he has said it all.
If your going to spend that kind of money, I would grab the pair of Fullrange Apogees that are for sale on Audiogon.

Have the seller ship them to Rich Murry @ True Soundworks for complete rebuild.

You will have a rare and outstanding speaker system, that not many others will ever have a chance to own.

Besides that....the Fullranges are better, than all of the above :-)

Dave
Hi Dave,
What do you mean by "better", in which fields that is, and how would you best power these speakers?
Hi Detlof

I put a smiley at the end, we all know better is only an opinion.

My opinion:

The quads are nice, if...you don't have a large room, and don't play your music at higher volume levels, and don't need deep bass.

The Maggies are nice, have deeper bass than the Quad, and will play louder than the Quad.

The Soundlabs are great, play deeper than both of the above...but may, or may not, play louder than the Maggies.

The Fullrange will play "much" louder than any of the above, are truly fullrange (20hz)...and are the equal of the above, in all other areas that would be important to "me" as a user of these type of speaker designs. (and of course this is where the opinion part comes in).

And of course we have another factor..."cost"

1. Quad
2. Maggies
3. Apogees
4. Soundlab

The Apogee Fullrange must be biamped. I would use all tubes as a first choice, and solid state on the bass panels only, as a second choice.

Another smiley :-)

Dave