need help -- budget system for a friend....

Your mission:

Recommend bookshelf speakers, integrated, and cd player that can be procured for $1000 total.

My buddy has diverse tastes -- lots of soul, blues, african music -- all acoustic.

New is preferable, but used would be fine if they were easily available pieces.

Thanks!
martyw
Excellent suggestions Johnnyb. This would make an wonderful entry level system that would take a considerable amount of upgrading to better.
Start with speakers and work back. For new it is hard to beat NHT S-00 and M-00 new for around $750. If your friend has a wireless PC for a source then you may need only an Apple Express or a USB DAC and you are done. Anyone starting out today and on a budget should seriously consider going straight to their PC or Mac as a source.
NAD nod is good, i would spend at least $400 on spks tho...used. imo, spks are more critical than amps at this price range . avoid low sensitivity models that suck power. fwiw, dont blow big bucks on spk cables, DIY with monster cables and connects at circuit city or find an off beat seller of good cables. get good cd cable connects tho. paradigms are good but way too many for me to mention. let your friend decide on this part!