Theta Miles owners: Using preamp or direct?

Anyone using a Theta Miles cd player? If so, are you using a preamp, or direct via analog volume? I have about $550 max to spend on a power source and I'm trying to figure out if I can get the best sound using the Miles direct into an amp, or would it sound better using a preamp? If going the preamo route, I'm thinking of integrated amps. Anyone have any opinions on the Acurus DIA100? If amp direct, I have a AR Multi 2 I'm going to audition from a friend. Another member here recommended a Muse Model 100.
jsbach1685
Zd542
My system revealed Theta products from the late 90's to be very neutral, detailed, dynamic, dry, hard, in your face, and at times glaring with badly recorded CD's. And they did this very impressively.
"03-26-15: Gslone
Zd542
My system revealed Theta products from the late 90's to be very neutral, detailed, dynamic, dry, hard, in your face, and at times glaring with badly recorded CD's. And they did this very impressively."

I believe you. My comment was just on the Miles. To me, it seemed like it didn't come alive with music. I'm not sure what it was. If I had to guess, maybe it was the transport. I never did like the Pioneer units they put in those things.

Many of the electronics of that era, were not the best either, and it was also the infancy of metal dome tweeters which were in your face with their resonant peak in the HF.
So I would not solely point at the Theta Miles having the problem.
Because when I heard it sound great was through a pair of Sonus Faber Extrema, with their very expensive non metal dome Esotar tweeter, and a pair of Threshold class A mono blocks driven direct from the Theta Miles.

Cheers George