Subwoofer set up

How can I effectively use a subwoofer when my speakers go down into the range of the subwoofer. If the speakers are connected to the output jacks and the subwoofer to the subwoofer jack, both units will be reproducing the same frequencies at times. Even my bookshelves claim to produce lower freqs.
neilmc
How is this? The preamp goes out to the sub with a Xover, then the speakers out of the sub to the main amp while the sub amplifies the low freqs.
The sub receives the output from the amplifier at the high level speaker inputs, and then the speaker outputs go out to the speakers, assuming you have the connections. Which sub is it?
Most people will dial the sub in where the speakers begin to naturally roll off. This can be done by ear.

-Rob
Post removed 
Neilmc,

If you have a subwoofer jack as your original post suggests, presumably your receiver or pre-pro has one or more crossover settings, e.g. it sends frequencies above 80 Hz to your main speakers and below 80 Hz to your sub. This is true even if you use separate amps, as I do. Typically, you specify this in the setup menu, often by classifying your main speakers as large or small. If using a sub, you want to select small, even though your main speakers are floor standers.

It's really quite simple; you are unlikely to need an external crossover filter to complicate things. I do recommend a sound pressure level meter, set to C weighting and slow trajectory. Radio Shack sells one very adequate for the application.

db

db