Digital Amplifier Questions

I've been wondering the following:

1. Do digital amps benefit from being left on 24/7in the same way the ss amps do?

2. Is plugging a digital amp into a different outlet as your preamp as crucial compared to a ss amp?

3. Do digital amps have small transformers? If so, is distancing equipment from one another less important? (My peachtre Nova Pre/220 look best stacked)

4. When upgrading power cords on a digital amp, do you look for cords that do well with digital gear like your preamp and dac, or do you still go for a beefy cord?

I apologize ahead of time for my ignorance on the matter! Thanks!
128x128b_limo
Hi Guido,

In an earlier post, you asked if I would perform your FM radio test on my D-Sonic M3-600M class D mono-blocs. Yes, I will test them and report back results on this thread when done.

I'm currently use 3 class D amps in my combo 2-ch and 5.1 ht system:

D-Sonic M3-600M monos for R+L mains

ClassD Audio SDS-440CS stereo amp for rear surrounds

Emerald Physics EP100.2SE stereo amp, bridged to mono, for center channel.

So, I will test them all soon (including the Dayton Audio SA-1000 950 watt class A/B amp that now powers my 4 sub bass system.

You remain the class D Guru in my estimation. Like you, I have a strong interest in class D happenings and its evolution. Now that I've heard 3 class D amps in my system, although only 2 were compared on my mains with music, I can say they all have similar traits:

Extremely low noise floor- music and sound emerge from a dead quiet background. Without an input signal, I've turned the volume to near maximum and listened with my ear an inch from the speaker and it's still dead quiet.

Very detailed and neutral- the low noise floor is probably at least partially responsible for the high level of detail. All of these amps impart no particular sound of their own and present a clear and honest portrayal of recordings as well as the quality of upstream components. This results in great system performance when recordings and upstream components are of good quality. If either recordings or upstream components are subpar, however, these amps will make it obvious.

Very good bass response- muddy or loose bass is never an issue; as Mapman stated, the high damping factor typical on class D amps results in clean, taut bass without exaggeration that easily enables differentiation of the instruments producing it.

Relaxed and effortless- these amps never sound strained, overtaxed or restricted. This could be a function of high power, since they range from 440 to 1.200 watts into 4 ohms, but it may be a result of the topology, I'm not sure.

As others have mentioned, the other benefits of class D include small size, light weight, low heat and very low wattage at idle so they can be left on 24/7.

Mapman,

In a prior reply, you asked:

"Any familiarity with the Class D audio amps? These seem like they must be a great bargain. If the noise isolation is up to par with the latest and greatest as well, that might just be the icing on the cake."

Prior to buying the D-Sonics, I used a ClassD Audio SDS-440CS amp to power my mains for both 2-ch and ht for over 6 months. I would definitely classify this amp as a great bargain. For about $650 you get 220/440 watts into 8/4 ohms, respectively, along with all the virtues mentioned above. The 440 and the D-Sonics are similar in that they both are very neutral, detailed with solid bass and smooth midranges and trebles that are never harsh or fatiguing. The D-Sonics are more detailed with an even more effortless presentation and better dynamics. Since the price difference is about $1,200, I'd say that makes the ClassD Audio an excellent bargain. I'll report back on whether they have rf interference/leakage issues.

Tim
Thank you Tim, keep me posted... But do not worry too much if you hear a bit of increased hash on the tuner... IMO the impact of a little bit of RF leakage from a class D amp does not necessarily translate into a perceivable degradation of overall system performance. E.g. ICEpower modules seem to leak a bit... Yet, Bel Canto REF1000M and Rowland M312 remain marvelous sounding amps in their own rights. G.
I never thought changing from an Parasound A21 to the 525 would yield so many improvements...the most noticeable is spacing between instruments.In my system the highs are musical,real,great tonality, and the mids are even better. The bass compared to the A21 is very different...A21 sounds bigger, 525 tight and detailed. I don't know how much better the 525 will get, but I'm already satisfied. I've reached a point that I'm enjoying music and done buying for now.
Hi Richard... Congrats for M525!!!!

Is the unit new or used? If used, how many hours on it? Overtight bass is likely to relax with more playing time.

G.
Could you also give us initial comments on other Rowland M525 parameters compared to Parasound A21....

Overall stage and image sizes;
Authority;
Transients distortion and speed;
Macro and microdynamics;
Harmonic complexity;
treble sweetness in complex passages;
Sense of the recording venue surrounding instruments.

Saluti, G.