Digital Amplifier Questions

I've been wondering the following:

1. Do digital amps benefit from being left on 24/7in the same way the ss amps do?

2. Is plugging a digital amp into a different outlet as your preamp as crucial compared to a ss amp?

3. Do digital amps have small transformers? If so, is distancing equipment from one another less important? (My peachtre Nova Pre/220 look best stacked)

4. When upgrading power cords on a digital amp, do you look for cords that do well with digital gear like your preamp and dac, or do you still go for a beefy cord?

I apologize ahead of time for my ignorance on the matter! Thanks!
128x128b_limo
RF leak thru power cord depends on the type of power supply. Rowland's supplies have zero current switching and power factor correction presenting load similar to resistive. No narrow current pulses. Ref1000m, a second generation uses also power factor correction. In contrast linear power supplies are, in reality, a very primitive switchers operating at 120Hz. They produce a lot of electrical noise since switching is done at max voltage (producing narrow current spikes of high amplitude). Higher switching frequencies of SMPS are easier to filter. Linear supplies in power amps require a lot of capacitors not only to filter out 120Hz but also to reduce voltage drops since they aren't regulated (line or load). For that reason Jeff Rowland uses zero current switching (+PFC) supplies operating at 1MHz, even in class AB amplifiers (Models 625, 725).

One comment on Damping Factor. Speakers are mostly resistive meaning that 4ohm rated speaker will measure likely 3ohm with DC ohmeter. This resistance is in the circuit limiting effective DF to less than 3. Adding 1/10 (0.3ohm) equivalent to DF=27 should not affect the sound. Above that it is only spectmanship. In class D amps very high DF, especially for low frequencies, is caused by the fact that one of the output switchers (Mosfets) is always connected to low impedance point (GND or Vs), making low output impedance to start with. Feedback reduces it even further.

Also, transition from A to B in class AB is audible - it is only matter of extend. It is because trans-conductance (Iout/Vin) is different for one transistor (class B) operating at given time vs two transistors (class A). It is called "gm doubling" and it adds to distortions in class AB amplifiers. It is also the reason why extending area of class A operation (increasing bias) increases distortions.
B_limo,

I had a Peachtree 220, 220se, and Grand Integrated. The 220se has the best overall sound. With the exception of the Grand, initially I enjoyed the sound of both the 220 and 220se... I never liked the Grand. After a couple of months, to my ears the Peachtree had a thin sound and something just never sounded right.
Recently I've listened to a friends Jeff Rowland 125 and with the exception of bass impact, it was one of the best amplifiers I've ever heard. I confess that's the only amplifier that I've had in my system that presented a three dimensional image.
Kijanki...what a great response. Hearing and tech analysis agreeing on something. What a concept!
Hi Richard, I suspect that the perceived lack of bass impact with Rowland M125 in your system might have been a meer lack of overall power rather than an architecture issue in the device... Assuming that the overall size of images and stage was not too far from desired when using a single unit, If you used a pair of M125s in bridged configuration you would likely to achieve correct base response, and overall excellent imaging and staging proportions. G.
Guidocorona,

I agree it was just a lack of overall power(my room is 20'x26'). The image size and stage was the best I've ever heard. We had this conversation privately. My plans are to get a 525. I really love the Jeff Rowland sound.