Digital Amplifier Questions

I've been wondering the following:

1. Do digital amps benefit from being left on 24/7in the same way the ss amps do?

2. Is plugging a digital amp into a different outlet as your preamp as crucial compared to a ss amp?

3. Do digital amps have small transformers? If so, is distancing equipment from one another less important? (My peachtre Nova Pre/220 look best stacked)

4. When upgrading power cords on a digital amp, do you look for cords that do well with digital gear like your preamp and dac, or do you still go for a beefy cord?

I apologize ahead of time for my ignorance on the matter! Thanks!
128x128b_limo
B limo,

By 'digital amps' do you mean class d amps? 'digital amps' is a bit of a misnomer probably persisting because people believe 'class d' refers to digital, but it was just the next letter in the alphabet used to designate various types of audio amplifiers using different methods of amplification. Class A defines amplifiers that use a more traditional circuit that has input devices that constantly remain 'on', resulting in excellent sound but produce excessive heat as a byproduct. Class D amps use 'switch mode power supplies' (smps) that are able to switch on and off extremely quickly, which produces much less wasted heat as a byproduct. I use a pair of class d mono-blocks that sound very good, output over 1k watts and barely get warm to the touch no matter how hard they're driven. I leave them on 24/7 since they only require a few watts of electricity at idle.

I'm no expert on amplifier design, so others may need to answer your other questions. So, if by 'digital' you meant class d, then yes I would advise to leave them on constantly. I thought it would be useful to clarify your question before your thread progresses.

Let us know,
Tim
I mean class d, which I thought was some type of digital amp...I just briefly read about that lastnight. I'm going to go read up for a minute and see if I can get this...
Ok, now I remember why I can't get this...

Can someone dumb it down for me as far as Class A, Class A/B, Class D?

I really only know that Class A amps are usually lower wattage, inefficient (whatever that means aside from drawing more electricity from the outlet...), run hot, but sound good (right?).

Class A/B is some type of dual mode where it runs in Class A for the first few watts then switches to Class B? Now this doesn't really make any sense to me. Wouldn't the transition be audible?

Then Class D... some type of switching amp, where it switches on and off? This makes no sense to me either. And why the heck did I think it was a Digital amp?

Anyhow, when I go to research what a Class D amp is, or any amp/preamp/dac/electronics, my research instantly turns into me looking up 15 words in the first paragraph which leads me to look up 100 more words, trying to wrap my head around it all, then steam comes out my ears and I start twitching.

I'd like to have a better understanding of all this so maybe someone can describe it in layman's terms?

PS, Thanks Mapman for your input. I've noticed you've been raving about your Belcantos for awhile now, not quite as much as ohms, but close! Good to see you enjoying the setup
I'll try the most basic explanation.
I really only know that Class A amps are usually lower wattage, inefficient (whatever that means aside from drawing more electricity from the outlet...), run hot, but sound good (right?).
The output is always on driving both the positive and negative side of the signal.
Class A/B is some type of dual mode where it runs in Class A for the first few watts then switches to Class B? Now this doesn't really make any sense to me. Wouldn't the transition be audible?
Not at all. Class A/B has 2 outputs where one side only passes the positive part of the signal and the other for the negative side. You also just doubled the output power. Can you hear the switch over? Um no. Some manufacturers will start in class A then switch to A/B for more power.
Then Class D... some type of switching amp, where it switches on and off? This makes no sense to me either. And why the heck did I think it was a Digital amp?
The outputs are turned on and off very fast (usually in the mega hertz or way out of the audible range) and then filtered. So the output is on as much as it is turned off. But the resulting output like the input is analog (sine wave). Digital is a bunch of square wave pulses that needs to be converted to analog. With Class D the signal is analog with the power being turned on and off.

Of course it gets much more complicated than that but it's my most basic understanding of the different classes of amplification.