Spendor s8e or Devoe Super 8

I am going to upgrade from a pair of spendor S5e's to either the S8e's or Devore Super 8's. Any recommendations?

Thanks
zquarters
Devores. I own the Devore Gibbon 8s and 3s. I have previously owned Spendors, S5e, S3/5. and S35e. Devores sound much better to me. Much more lively and detailed. They will probably work better with tubes.
I had the s5e's and moved up to the s8e's...big improvement in soundstage! Personally i was always a little dissapointed with the 5's as they were just too closed in and small sounding (even though they can play loud).

One caviat...I have run the 8's with 3 amps...Musical Fidelity A5 integreated, CJ MV60SE and now with Rogue 150's. The MF and Rogues are awesome with theses speakers...the CJ was a disaster! I am not familiar with your Dodd amp but you need some good power here.

With all that said...the 8's are the 5's on steriods...much better presentation and room filling, but not a rock speaker.
If it's possible for you to audition the Devores I would highly recommend it. I haven't hear the Spendors at all so can't comment on them but I own the Devore 8's and have heard the Super 8's at a local dealer.

The Devores are amazing speakers, I've owned Thiels, two pair of Proacs and Merlins at more or less the same price as the Devores and none of them could compete with the Devores for pure musical enjoyment in my systems, with either solid state or tube amplification.
a little off-topic but I'm running an 80's vintage Luxman R117 receiver (160 wpc) and am wondering if the S8e's would be a good match for it. Used for 2 channel use (cd's/ipod) and home theatre. do you think this speaker is overkill with this receiver? thanks.