Speaker shipping suggestions

Hi, I am newer convert to the audiophile hobby (and audiogon community) and am in the process of procuring (I love that word) my first floorstanders (is that even a word). Anyways, both myself and the seller are a little uncertain about the best ways to package/ship such speakers. Any advice would be much appreciated. Cheers.
smiia
The easiest way is to go to Mail Boxes or Kinko's and have them do it.

Or if you want to do it yourself:

Depending on the size and weight of the speakers, my suggestion is this: Remove spikes or feet if you can then wrap each speaker in plastic (trash bags will work) then put them in the factory boxes. If you don't have the boxes they should go into a sturdy carboard box with enough room to allow 3-4" of padding materiel to surround ALL sides of the speaker. No not use peanuts, use bubbble wrap & cardboard sandwitch in between or bubble wrap and that sheet pink home insualtion available in several thickness'.
The final box should feel solid with no movement inside and should be taped well. Make sure you insure the shipment and use either UPS or Fedex ground to ship. I've had the same results with both....mostly good too! Good luck.
Depending upon the size of the speakers, weight and overall dimension of each shipping box, you may or may not be able to utilize UPS Ground with which I've had good luck shipping heavy amplifiers (120 pounds each), high-end transport, DAC and clock, etc....

UPS does have a dimensional weight restriction of 150 pounds per box so it is likely you'll need to look at other options.

I have very large floor-standing speakers (Legacy Audio Focus 20/20 and Focus HDs). These weigh in at 205 pounds each and their shipping boxes are about the size of a refrigerator. I've had very good luck and no damage over the past 3 years with multiple speaker shipments of this size, weight and dimension as well as smaller speakers (50-90 lbs) using Yellow Freight. This is also Legacy's preferred/only carrier. The beneficial aspect of shipping with Yellow (or other LTL truck carrier) is that they come pick up the shipping crates, strap them and shrink-wrap them to a pallet and know how to handle the weight and size of these items. There are few things to remember in that you must allocate time to arrange for pickup, be home when they are to come for the pickup and ensure they pallet everything to your satisfaction. You should also remember that when you sign the BOL (Bill of Lading) at the origin, and the receiver signs at the destination, you are stating that the shipment is in good order. The receiver should not sign the BOL until after he/she inspects the shipment in the driver's presence. Like any delivery with any carrier, after you accept the shipment and the driver leaves, it's very difficult to log any complaint of damage after the fact.

That stated, this is an option that has worked for me several times in the last 3 years. There are other
carriers (UPS Freight, FedEx Freight/LTL, etc...) but I have not used them.
I hope this poster tells us what speakers these are, and what price.?-- Me; I don't buy heavy/expensive speakers or tube amps and have them shipped xcountry.--(any more) Wood crates are a great target for non caring forklift drivers. Even if the tip of said forklift don't do the damage--sometimes they can get slammed hard when the let the pallet down---way faster than they should be let down.
I would hope you might find somebody local 2 buy from.
Post removed 
Again , depending on size and if you want to do it yourself , this is what has worked for me many times shipping average sized floorstanders .
1.) Go to U-Haul and get two of their wardrobe boxes .
2.) Go to Home Depot and get a couple of packages of their styrofoam insulation sheets , they are 16" X 48" X 1" . They do have 4'X8' sheets of thicker strofoam if you need it . I prefer the styrofoam packing over cardboard because the styrofoam will not absorb or pass water if the outer box gets wet .
3.) Get a roll or two of heavyduty packing tape , clear .
4.) If needed get some very large heavyduty trash bags .

Put the speakers inside the trash bags and seal with tape . This is for moisture control .

Depending on size , line the bottom of the wardrobe box with strofoam and put the speakers inside . Now fill the rest of the space up with the strofoam panels . Make sure everything is as tight and filled as possible .
If you have the original packaging use it and then put inside of the wardrobe boxes . This will be a double packaging and more protective .

Tape everything closed and tape over all seams and junctions . You don't want any available openings anywhere . Also wrap tape around the sides and around the top and bottom . Sort of like banding straps .

Make address cards , I use 5x8 note cards . Put a couple on each box and cover with the clear packing tape .

I like to ship with FedX "Red" , not green . It costs more but they exhibit much better handling of their packages !

And of course make sure that they are insured !

I have used these procedures for all of my eqiupment shipping and have had zero damages to the merchandise !

Good luck.