Speaker cabinet materials.

Just wondering what are some of the materials used in building cabinets for speakers? We all know of mdf and solid wood, but how popular is aluminum? Magico and Piega use it. Are there others that use aluminum? And what other materials are used? What about acrylic?
Acoustical wool and mass loaded vinyl is used inside, what else is used?
pedrillo
I agree with the poster above
Granite cabinet's done right (Ridge Street Sason's)
it's like there is no cabinet all you hear is the music
Alan Wolfe from Magico believes that Aluminum is the best material to use for a speaker cabinet, YG Acoustics also uses airplane grade aluminum to build their speakers, but if you are looking for the most advanced, most inert cabinet on the market, look no further than Rockport Tech. No one builds a better "cost no object" cabinet than Andy Payor.

look at the measurements for these two Rockport speakers, performed by Stereophile.

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/904rockport/index5.html
and
http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/644/index6.html

as far as i have seen, they are by far the most inert cabinet Stereophile has ever measured. Much better than any Wilson or even the Magico, two companies that spend a lot of money advertising the quality of their speaker cabinets.
Was wondering if anyone has ever tried making cabinets out of glass? It's a rigid material and can be damped by coupling it with materials of different densities.
I think the Ballistic Ceramic (compression wrapped in Kevlar) of my Cerious speakers is an ideal material - it is rigid yet lossy, and requires no internal damping materials. Wrapping ones knuckles on the cabinet is fascinating - the impact from your hand is completely absorbed.

There is a quite a bit of information on their site about the materials used - and the cost is quite reasonable as well.
Pedrillo, Waterfall Victoria Evo is a speaker made of glass, looks terrific and has rave reviews in French Stereo magazine.