Speaker cabinet materials.

Just wondering what are some of the materials used in building cabinets for speakers? We all know of mdf and solid wood, but how popular is aluminum? Magico and Piega use it. Are there others that use aluminum? And what other materials are used? What about acrylic?
Acoustical wool and mass loaded vinyl is used inside, what else is used?
pedrillo
I've seen a few companies that use precision molded concrete. I'm sure it stops resonance, but it is also difficult to work with and for a large floor speaker it makes the weight nearly unmanageable.

I remember some speakers from one of the "shows" a while back that used a concrete enclosure for the woofer, and an expansion horn created from trans-laminated hardwood for the tweet/mids. The stereophile writer said he wasn't even going to ask how heavy they were.

Joe
the best cabinet is no cabinet. wood resonates. perhaps, some inert matrial with such a low resonant point would be ok, but i suspect that it woud be very heavy.
Most speakers, as you state, use some type of wood product, mostly MDF. There are some like Rockport that use molded layers of a hard and soft materials to help damp resonances. Wilson uses layers of methacrylic and a damping material, and also a mineral-loaded phenolic compound. Some manufacturers such as Sonus Faber feel that since all cabinets resonate, they should be made of the same wood used in musical instruments. Others feel that the cabinet should be damped as much as possible to minimize its contribution to the sound. I guess it just depends on what type of sound you like.