Best speakers for 3 cord rock and roll

I'm looking to set up a 2 channel system to primarily listen old fashioned R&R (Beatles, Stones, Ramones) and some classic country (Cash, Nelson,Williams). What's better for this type of music - cones or planars? My budget is $2k for a used pair.
scott_wojo
Ive been hunting the same, though in addition to 3 chord rock add metal to the mix. So far I tend to find an either/or kind of presentation. Either great with imaging/nuance or punch/power...but not both. Its all about trade off's I guess. But without typing a novel, the latest speaker I heard that did both very well, was the B&W 804S. Probably not much above your budget used.
You might find you can get your Ya-Ya's out with Dynaudio. Likely a dealer in your area. Perhaps mid-fi compared with some of the favorites here, I bought a pair of 72 floorstanders for about half your budget for my basement after listening and liking my son's powered monitors he used for mixing.
Thanks to everyone for the recommendations. I'm now going to visit some shops and take a listen. I'll keep you posted as to what I hear. I'm still interested in the little horns from the horn shoppe so if any of you hear them put a little rock into the mix for me.
Just saw this over in A'gon sales section.

http://buy.audiogon.com/cgia/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1204537137

Lots of people listen to their "rock and roll" back in the seventies on these puppies.

For $295 it's a "no brainer".