Smoother bass by running woofer out of phase?

In my dedicated room that is furnish with bass traps, I still get to much bass energy on bass heavy music. I discover recently that in bi wiring my speakers (ML Vantage)I wire the woofers out of phase;the bass bloat goes away and I have greater detail from top to bottom. What is the explanation of this and is this a recommended "fix" in dealing with excessive bass? Thanks, Sam
shum3s
Look, my humor aside...think about it..a 13 by 30 room?? The speakers themselves need at leats 10 t0 12 feet between them. Use the long wall and sit against the opposite side wall..your problems will go away!! Call Terry at Mapleshade for advice or check out the free tweaks section on the web site. Almost all reputable speaker manufacturers will tell you the same thing as I have...long wall, head against opposite wall, treat front and back walls, sit low and spread speakers apart with minimal toe in. You just might find yourself immersed in a complex musical soundscape...of course you may want to listen to someone with less experience. By the way, put the sub on proper spoked or coned feet, face it left or right (not in a corner or down firing) and put it in the plane of the midrange drivers. Use the best cable or IC connection you can and put a good power cord on it of possible. Enjoy!!
I am assuming that BOTH speaker systems are being wired with woofers out of phase.

First, some crossover networks, having a 180 degree phase shift between woofer and tweeter, require that the two drivers be connected with opposite electrical phase. Some other networks having 90 degree phase shift, are "wrong" (electrically) no matter what you do.

If one connection (chosen by the designer) yields flat response through the crossover frequency, then inverting one driver will cause a deep notch at the crossover frequency. (In fact this is the best way to measure the crossover frequency). Perhaps your room has a resonant peak around the X/O frequency, or, more likely, you just don't like that frequency.
I third setting up on the long wall. No question about it.

In addition- only 50% or so of recordings actually maintain absolute phase, so who knows what you are actually hearing. Just because your wiring is in phase doesn't mean your music is.
The OP is explicitely talking about changing the phase on the woofer for smoother bass.