On The Feeding And Care Of Vienna Mahlers

As already you may have gleaned from several threads, I have fallen in love with the Vienna Mahlers during the 2006 RMAF, where I listened to them repeatedly and at length in the excellent Rowland / Soundings / Sumiko suite. At the time, they were driven by a Primare CD21 CD player, Rowland Concerto preamp, Rowland 312 stereo amp.

No longer able to resist, I decided to retire my Maggies IIIAs, and ordered a pair of Mahlers in Rosewood livery during late August, and have received them a couple of weeks ago, crated in their coffins. Soon after, they were hoisted up the stairs to the loft with the help of a stout hand-cart and of a 'few good men'--you know who you are. . . and thanks a bunch guys! Why is it that anything good has to weigh almost 200lbs?

Well, now they are all connected, via a set of emergency Monster speaker wires, while my trusted Cardas Golden Refs are awaiting to be shipped to Cardas for retermination. They are at the end of a fully balanced chain consisting of TEAC Esoteric X-01, ARC Ref 3, Rowland model 7M balanced (latest series made 1989 with trans-impedance modules and rear primary power switches). ICs are Audioquest Skys. Temporarily, I am running the Mahlers with woofers facing outward, speakers cantered in by perhaps 7 degrees. Speakers are approximately 22 inches from a half wall behind them, and are standing about 77 inches apart center to center. Because of the shape of the listening loft -- which has a passage on its right leading to the stairs -- i cannot center them evenly from the side walls: the front of the left speaker is 28 inches from the wall, while the right speaker sits 60 inches from the right wall. The listening loft is a carpeted area having stippled walls approximately 17 feet x 19 feet with a half wall along the long side where the system is situated. The ceiling is coffered with a max height of perhaps 12 ft. The half wall opens to an even larger area that extends downstairs to the house entrance. The carpeted floor of the loft is in turn covered by an extremely thick 9 X 12 ft wool rug. A couch sits close to the windows opposite the stereo.

At approx 60 hours of break in, the Mahlers were already making wonderful music; the treble opening nicely; midrange already solid and textured; the bass deepening; staging and imaging fleshing out. At 68 hrs some -- I trust temporary -- excessive warmth sat in. I can only guess about their sound once they stabilize, and only then I will write a full review. In the meantime I'd like to hear from other audiophiles about their experiences/opinions of the Mahlers.

Here are some possible topics for discussion:

Any experiences connecting speaker wires to Mahlers via maggie Pins? The socket on the 5-way binding post of my Mahlers is marginally too narrow for the Maggie Pins on my Cardas Golden Ref speaker wires. . . I can fit 1 connector out of 4 only.

Total speaker break in time, and expected performance/sonic fluctuations during break in.

The eternal debate. . . woofers out or woofers in?

Experiments with bass and treble management dip-switches?

Effect of front grilles on/off?

Ideal distance from back wall / side walls?

Ideal angling?

Amplifiers and speaker wires that in your experience match well or do not match well with Mahlers.

Things that in your view Mahlers excell at, and areas they may not do so well.

That's it from my end. . . . 'tis your turn now guys & girls!

Guido
guidocorona
Hey Guido - Sorry I didn't get to meet you at RMAF. Albert mentioned you were there, and that he enjoyed meeting you. Congratulations on the Mahlers! That was definitely one of the most memorable rooms for me as well. I enjoyed both the Mahlers, and the smaller Beethovens (mini grands) in the next room. I went back to listen again too. They seem to do a everything right. I did prefer both without the subs that each of the two rooms had added to them. I thought both had very clean bass as low as I'd need it to go without the reinforcement from a sub, especially the Mahlers. I'll be curious to hear how your new ones evolve.

Marco
Hey Marco, sorry missing you as well! I agree completely about subs on Vienna speakers. In my view neither the Beethoven Baby Grands nor the Mahler remotely require a sub. . . . totally satisfying without one. By the way, last year's Soundings / Rowland / Sumiko suite had the same product lineup but being a larger suite, sounded even better than this years. For next year, Brent rainwater and I are already starting a groundsswell of Agoners to meet at the bar on Thursday evening at 7:00 pm for drings. . . hopefully to follow with chowdown somewhere.
Are you considering Mahlers or their upcoming reference-level big brothers for your system?
Guido, you haven't been listening to Sumiko. There's no "ideal distance" from the back and side walls. You need to have Rod from Soundings over to position them optimally in your space. All your issues will magically disappear.

You might go ahead and burn-in your speaker cables. I'm not one to get carried away, finding that Kimber has some reasonably priced offerings that will work with your speakers. Thank goodness that VA takes responsibility for the crossover and there's none of that bi-wiring mumbo jumbo to concern yourself with.

BTW, what amp are you using?

Dave
Hi Dave, unfortunately Soundings is in Denver and I live in Austin (TX). No budget for professional placement I fear. My case is going to be one of Do-ItYourself placement. Has Soundings published a placement methodology.?
Hey Guido - I do hope I can join y'all next year. I don't know, one of those shows every six years or so is about my fill, though I had a great time experiencing this year's show. The Mahlers are too big for my moderately sized listening space, though I liked them more than the Beethoven minis, I would definitely consider the later to succeed my Silverline Sonatinas someday. Not anytime very soon...too many other priorities right now. What's the rest of your system you're using with the Mahlers?

Marco