Tannoy Speakers

Who here owns, owned, or has auditioned Tannoy speakers? What did you think of them? If you no longer own them or opted to buy something else, can you tell me why? I'm trying to decide what my next set of speakers will be.
128x128mdeblanc
I own two models, the MX-1M and Fusion 1. Small bookshelf spks. Excellent overall sound. Very highly recommended.
Bernie Grundman has used Tannoys for years...very good speakers...much of what you buy will have been mastered on them! Bernie has had close to 40 Grammy Nominations...
My uncle had classic co-auxial 15 incher, and they sounded warm and pleasant. They are classics for a reason.

But not all Tannoy offerings sound good = especially now.

The good sounding ones cost quite a bit. If you can find an old one that still is in good condition, that might be your ticket to sonic heaven.

http://www.tannoy-speakers.com/s.php?section=Residential&skin=white&sub=1

The prestige series sounded good - especially for classical, but they are quite expensive. Me thinks one can get similar quality for less.

Lesser offerings didn't do it for me - there are better alternatives out there - you might want to check out Canadian speakers like Paradigm, PSB, etc, if your price range is not upto the Tannoy prestige series.

Tannoys can sound really good - their top models, but lesser ones are not good values in audio - also they seem tobe over priced for what they do.

They seem to play this game of over charging - making buyers feel that there must be something to the high cost, when in reality, it's just over charging - compared to other companies.

Canadian speakers are good value - might want to audition them, before buying British speakers.

Paradigm studio sound good, and are reasonably priced - they are a little polite sounding speakers - if you like that quality in speakers.

I once owned the M4 and have auditioned many models over the years. I was once invited to a dealer only audition of one of their prototypes that never made it to market. I liked the M4 and used them for a few years and these performed amazingly well for sub $1K speakers. When I went to replace them I auditioned the Eyris DC 3 which was pretty good and in the running, and the TD12 (out of my budget at the time, but sounded excellent), but ended up with the VSA-4JR which I loved from the moment I heard it. The set-up on the TD-12 was not optimal from a placement or electronics standpoint so I really do wonder what they would be like set-up correctly.

I hope someday to hear some of their offerings up in the prestige line.
I have a pair of Turnberry speakers from the Prestige line. I have owned them for about four years. That is much longer then any of my other components. I thought about getting rid of them, but could not find anything else that I liked better. I am listening to them as I write this and wonder why I should even consider getting rid of them. Their sound is musical, balanced, focused and just very natural sounding overall. And besides that, they are drop dead gorgeous with this very attractive retro look to them. I have never considered them overpriced as was suggested above, I just think of them as a pretty good deal. I'll be hanging on them and when I do decide to do something different, I'll probably just look up the Prestige line. Just my .02.
Dave