Crossover-less Speakers

I'd like to hear from those of you who transitioned to crossover-less speakers. I have a pair of Thiel CS 2 2s. I like 'em but I'm curious about the full-range crossover-less speaker types. I'd like to know what speaker you have and what speaker you traded up from. Are you getting the full range from your spkrs? Are you experiencing any peaks and valleys in the frequency response? Are you happy with the lows or are you augmenting with a powered sub? Thanks.
128x128mdeblanc
Sorry about taking your thread on a tangent there.

I used to be an Omega dealer, but the only models I ever had were those with the light-yellow coned Fostex drivers. When I started doing my own thing - which was conceptually fairly similar - I discontinued being an Omega dealer because it wasn't right for me to be competing against one of the companies I represented. But I think very highly of Louis Chochos and of his designs. The man is a prince.

I don't know exactly which model you're referring to as not having a paper cone, but in a given box size lower efficiency = deeper or louder bass (assuming competent design). In my earlier post I misjudged where you were aiming for in efficiency and maybe a few other things. I can't say the Omegas are the best in their price ballpark because I haven't heard everything in their price ballpark, but they can do some things incredibly well.

Now there are a couple of tricks that you may need to apply to get good bass out of a speaker like the Omegas. The first is, use short stands. The closer to the floor they sit, the more boundary reinforcement they get. They'll image better taking advantage of floor reinforcement than if you have to move 'em back against the "front" wall for boundary reinforcement, so save the up-against-the-wall placement as more of a last resort. Finally, feel free to move your listening position forwards or (more likely) backwards, closer to the "rear" wall, to improve the bass response that you experience.

Most single-driver speakers are a little bit "hot" on-axis, so you might want to listen from five to maybe fifteen degrees off-axis. Of course experimenting will tell you, but keep in mind that you can use toe-in sort of like a treble tone-control with a fullrange driver.

I can't comment on the Decwares because I have zero experience with them.

Here's a link to Omega's forum over on another site:

www.audiocircle.com/circles/in...

Best of luck in your quest,

Duke
Duke - You are hanging heavy on a fragile thread. Yes, Yes, Yes, there is a remote chance that somebody will read one of my positive comments about Zu and contact me for an opportunity to come to my house in Fruita, Colorado. I don't have a store, I don't have a dedicated listening room and I don't have a website.
Did you get that part about my house? No one who reads anything I say can provide me with a commission opportunity unless they come to my house in Fruita, Colorado. Fruita, Colorado.

Since I live 300 miles from the Zu factory, you may as well go there as come here unless you live in Denver or somewhere in the Colorado mountains. It is not impossible but it is an extreme longshot that has not occurred. If anybody out there wants to prove me wrong about how extremely obscure this is, I will be happy to take the opportunity to eat my words.

This accusation is absurd in the extreme. My declaration on Audio Circle exists over there because of the same kind of overly ambitious vigilante finger pointing that is taking place here.

I'm probably famous for my Zu endorsements by now and it should be pretty obvious that I am not trying to sneak up on anybody. I also said nothing negative about those other brands. The guy who started this thread asked to know what other speakers we changed from or previously owned, so I listed a few.

You're really trying to make something from nothing here.

Mesa County comprises 3,340 square miles. It has a population of about 125,000 people. Besides myself, only Tom Merrill reads Audiogon. I have put forth inquiries in the past and found no one else. I have typed local zip codes into the search square and come up empty. During the 80s when high end audio was blooming throughout the U.S. this area was in the deepest of Depressions due to the big pullout of Exxon and Shell from their oil shale exploration. People left their keys in the mailbox and drove away. No high end audio then and none now. I have no local market. It's a joke at Zu. Nobody expects me to make a nickel off of my Zu affiliation except you. So please tell me how my endorsement in this thread can bring the money my way. I've got two boys who will be going to college in the next couple of years. We could damn sure use the funds. Since you see my potential so clearly, clue me in. How can I realize this windfall that you feel I'm cooking up by failing to disclose?

The Feastrex drivers and speakers will be shown at the RMAF. It sounds like they may be the ultimate crossover-less full-range driver. They are number one on my must hear list.
Macrojack Duke does have a point you would be suspected of bias since your are working to promote ZU products paid or unpaid.But dont think it maters as much on audiogon as other forums hard to get a real unbiased opinion on the gon anyway many manufacters retailers distributors can promote or suggest there products on audiogons forums.When I read posts here its with a huge grain of salt.
This is the first time I heard of a pyramid scheme in audio. I know this type of thing exists in other markets like tupperware, vitamins and cosmetics.

Anyone else know of similar schemes in audio? (where a consumer gets commissions for recruiting new product sales via the friends/family etc)