Why are hi-end active monitors not more popular?

I was just curious why more home systems don't utilize active monitors from hi-end manufacturers. Dynaudio, Focal, PMC and Genelec to name a few seem to have very high value offerings that, on the surface, appear taylor made for a simple system. Just add a cd player with volume and balanced outs or a hi-end dac connected to a music server. Pros and cons are appreciated. A home consumer version seems to have already made it to market in the NHT XDs system. I haven't heard the NHT system and would appreciate your comments.
ghasley
Pardon my long (long, really...) post - I'll make it a two parter.

Part 1.

Ghasley,
It's been about another month - just wondering what you finalized on, assuming you've completed your eval.

I just found this thread and read through it today and it has been an interesting discussion over months.

I went from a pair of Watkins WE-1A speakers paired with Mark Levinson 20.5 amps and an ML-26 pre (later upgraded to a 38S) that I thought sounded wonderful and pretty close to reference for home hi-fi (at least at the time) to a pair of Genelec 1032As and a 1094 Sub.

My reason for doing this was several fold but rooted in the fact that I am a recording engineer/producer. While I loved the Watkins/ML combo (still miss those Watkins!), I found them, like most great home-pointed hifi to sound really "nice."
Nice is great for enjoyment only but does not necessarily equal "accurate." As I had a need to bring mixes home and listen to them sans the musicians and anyone else who might be in the studio requesting they or someone they know be turned up/down, etc., "nice" wouldn't/won't cut it. Budget and physical space impaired having "nice" and "accurate" simultaneously.

So, I sold my Watkins & ML 20.5s to gain capital to get the Genelec system. I have been immensely pleased with the Genelecs over the years. I have also found myself pondering something different more recently, just for a change and to see where evolution of the species has taken us.

I heard some Genelecs in a studio in which I was working back when they were first being imported into the US. I was blown away by the accuracy, clarity, depth of presentation, and imaging. I put in some of my own CDs and literally heard things that I'd never heard before. I knew back then that I'd end up with some as they were the best thing I'd ever heard.

As does everything... the market's evolved. Many have followed into the active speaker market, and they're now available in almost every application.

I have not heard the PMCs so I am curious about your longer-term impressions on both speakers. Did you get rid of the Genelecs or relegate them to lesser duties? I know the 8050s are not 1032s but for the purpose of general reference, that is a great place to start.

----------------------------------------------------------

Part 2
As for the original discussion - For a very long time, even the highest end hifi'ers didn't even know about active monitors because they were marketed almost exclusively to the professional demographic. There's also the fact that most hi-end home gear is not designed to sound as accurate to the source as it is "pleasurable" to listen to - which is, of course extremely subjective (as is all audio.)
Besides, people in the general consumer market don't have, nor should even want access to the more controlled atmosphere of studios and professional listening experience. So the equipment for each has different design goals and purpose. Which can be seen as ironic since everything that happens on the backend is done to sell product to that general market... One of the reasons most studios have a "cheaper consumer grade" pair of speakers to check mixes on. This is not to say that all hifi gear is less capable - the high-end of the market produces some amazing results, especially in electronics(!), that often far surpasses what's available in the pro market. (Especially in the area of price, but that's another conversation (rant...))

Back to "accuracy" being generally acceptable/desirable, I too, back in the day asked the question (often) "Why are audiophiles not jumping on this high-end pro gear more often?" - especially in the realm of monitors/speakers. For many years, names like Fostex LS1,2 & 3s, Genelec, Quested, TAD, and others have all crossed my mind as to why consumers weren't finding/buying them.

Having been a long-time audiophile myself, and served on the board of an audiophile organization, I think I have reached two conclusions - one of which is mentioned at the beginning of this thread:

1. Audiophilia is as much about the pursuit of the gear itself and exploring the latest theories (no matter how far-fetched they may be) than it is the most accurate representation of the music possible. That's part of the fun!

2. Audiophilia is as much about the socialization as it is the gear or the music. The sharing of experiences (music and equipment), opinions, the debates, intellectual exploration, and a reason to get together to talk, listen, and/or brag about one's latest acquisition seems to be the spark that ignites and keeps it going. That's the other part of the fun!
Otherwise, we'd all be trapping ourselves alone in the basement with our system, waiting on the next meal to be slid under the door - never sharing our secrets with anyone... right!?! (tongue firmly in cheek)

When was the last time you went to an audiophile club meeting and everyone sat quietly in front of a 'reference' system for the duration until it was time to leave?
I can't imagine what would happen if suddenly a system of reproduction came about that EVERYONE agreed sounded as good as physics will allow possible. I'm not even sure that many people would own such a system...

Active or passive, the irony is that, by nature the most important piece of equipment in your reproduction system is also the least technically capable of producing "true" results. Even before all the subjectivity starts.

As for the pros/cons - many have already been stated here. Active =
The opportunity to design & implement the best matched electronics to their mechanical counter-components while moving spectrum splitting hardware, etc. to the optimal place in the circuit. All with simple connectivity and usually the benefit of a balanced signal path to as close to the mechanical piece as possible (read common mode rejection benefits.)

But(!) Most times, it's not as pretty to look at, you can't monkey with it (at least as readily and certainly not within warranty); you are forced to evolve in large wholesale steps instead of incrementally/piecemeal due to the nature of the beast; as well - you are left to trust that those who design the mechanical parts are just as adept at electronics design, and then there's the whole implementation part... Great design poorly implemented (or vice-versa) is still left to suffer its own lowest common denominator...; along with the fact that there's less to talk about because the components are all integrated.

It's also been my observation over time that few people actually know or even care (truly) if what comes out of the speakers is as close to the actual live performance as possible. I can tell you that there are many, many times that we as the listener DON'T want it to be! We want the added benefit of polishing and tweaking that happens before it gets to us, as well as the coloration that our own system adds to it - the "nice" part.
If you have difficulty wrapping your head around this, just imagine standing 10, 20, or even 75 feet away from an on-axis high note out of Randy Brecker's Harmon muted trumpet... (or even with no mute for that matter!) I can tell you from experience - you don't want that! :-)

Indeed, unless it is symphony/orchestral music, or straight-ahead jazz, or some exception, we don't even mix a performance to provide "the band is in my room" presentation. So the whole idea of "performance accuracy" goes out the window like a "Trout Fishing in America" song. Example: Last I checked, there's no such thing as reverb, delay, or any other form of "wetness" that comes out of an acoustic instrument in its native form. But wetness gets dumped all over those puppies in the production process - 'cause it sounds "nice" or it's thought to better express the artist's concept or idea.

With all that in mind, I've observed that many audiophiles don't really even like an "accurate" system (at the professional & measurable level) when they're in front of it. They use words like "clinical" or "sterile" to describe the experience. In theory, it's supposed to be all source, no vehicle, right?! Clinical and unaltering is what the reproduction system's supposed to be like! Referring to the means of this thread, most active speakers have been designed to play in the "clinical" space - lacking as much of the "niceness" as possible.
But again, that kinda kills the fun in the subjectivity and pursuit of it all, doesn't it?

My stance has always been this:
If you think it sounds good, shut-up and listen to it!
If you think it sounds great & it's worth the price - get it for yourself and ENJOY!
If you have to use it as a tool to make a living, make sure it does the best job at hand within your resources and leave the "nice" part for later.

I told ya this was going to be long.
I don't get out much - at least not on these kinds of things so when I do, I go kinda nuts. My apologies.

Cheers All & Happy Holidays,
Chuck
Genelec 1032As and a 1094 Sub.

An awesome setup. Of the really high end pro studio monitors Genelec seems to have less crossover to audiophile market than ATC - not sure why. ATC, Quested and Genelec invaded the US starting some twenty five years ago and replaced many of the older horn systems as main monitors in the highest end studios (at last loud could also sound good - not just a PA speaker). Genelec also garnered a respected position early on for near fields in most studios.

Can't think why Genelec and Quested never made much of a dent in the audiophile market, as ATC has done. Perhaps it has something to do with "nice" and "accurate" simultaneously? Or the Pink Floyd affect? Or Genelec simply do not provide the requisite audiophile wood veneers?

I'd be interested in your perspective.
First off, being a huge PF fan, I am surprised I missed something - your reference to the PF affect? Clue me in (I might just need a memory prod ;-)

Now for my perspective (for what that's worth...)
Focusing on Genelec as an example - just 'cause I've been following them for a while:
It seems to me that in the beginning, Genelec never intended to market to consumers, so they just didn't spend any time there. No dealer network was ever formed, no marketing, no nothing really...
It'same with most hi-end Pro mfgs - or even most Pro mfgs at all for that matter. With the exception of Manley (who's not very high-end but would like us to think otherwise), you don't see Grace, Avalon, Neumann, Apogee, Neve, SSL, etc. etc. etc. offering up any product to the high-end consumer. The market is simply perceived as too small. Which it probably is when you stop and think about it.

Next, as you made reference to, most pro speaker mfg's (certainly Genelec) are not so overly concerned with aesthetics. Coming from Finland, Genelec are bound to take a minimalist 'function over form' approach. So things like 'your choice in finish' just ain't gonna come from the Finnish. :-)

Lastly, at first glance Genelecs (like most high-end pro gear) are far from inexpensive. I think people not so in the know probably suffer some serious sticker shock when they see a 'pair of speakers' that are two-ways with a 10 inch woofer selling for $5-6K - not taking into account that it's actually a pair of monitors, amps and cables...

Genelec appears to have assumed that their true market would know and understand the application of their product. And it certainly seems to have worked for them over the years. The 1030 and 1031s quickly became the replacement defacto standard 'you gotta have a pair of these' small reference monitors that the Yamaha NS-10Ms and Rogers LS3-5As once were. Or, showing my age a bit, the not so small JBL 4311Bs.

In summary, I think the audiophile community simply got left out of the loop. And those in the community that found there way in front of a pair of Genelecs, etc. either got it, and became small footprint advocates, or didn't get it (or want to get it) and shunned the brand/concept as either 'too clinical' or elitist (ironic when you look at stuff like Wilsons, IRSs, and Plasmatronics (age again), etc.) Either way, the whole conversation above about the "nice", tinker, and social factors notwithstanding, they found themselves somewhere outside of the seemingly exclusive club of high-end pro audio, preferring to stay in the world of extremes in application, wild theory, debate, and aesthetic design.

To go on and just be wordy as heck again (I really have to get a grip on this run-on thing...)
In more recent years, Genelec did start to realize they were missing a whole market that could be a great source of revenue for them. They started selling 'Home Theater Packages' and even have in-wall speakers now. They seemed to me to market in the high-end demo's but never really explained their mission or concept, or research the target segment they were shooting for - so few fish bit. Think back to IBM's big mainframe days applying their existing marketing dept. to sell PC platform products... (read OS/2.)
So that untapped market remains mostly untapped still by continued in-the-box thinking / marketing strategy.
To argue the contrary, some friend of my next door neighbor apparently has an 8000 sqft home with dedicated theater, etc. etc. and supposedly, his whole house is like a Genelec theme park (along with Crestron Pro and others.) So evidently there's at least one HT/SmartHome design/construction company in the area that is placing the stuff.

I've gone on so much now, I don't even know - did I answer your implied question?
:-) or :-( if you're tired of my blather...

Peace!
C
Chuck,

What you say makes sense and matches my observations too. Active designs are a hard sell outside the pro world or outside of cheapo computer satellite speakers. People just don't understand the tremendous advantages in separating the audioband and reducing IMD distortion from hard to drive bass frequencies. Since a lot of the practices are based on long standing tradition it will take time to change.

The PF reference is to David Gilmour's Astoria studio and to James Guthrie's Tahoe Studio...if you read Sounds on Sound or Mix magazine then I am sure you can get info on the speakers they use...even a google will probably find these details.
The PMC AML1 and the larger three ways are fully active and not just "activated". The ATC active amps do let the side down a bit. The bryston amps and crossovers however do not and the PMCs are a much better bet because of it. Though they are much more expensive. I have the PMC MB2-XBD-Active.