What's up with the 'Piano' gloss????

Forgive me if I'm just totally ignorant as to the inner workings of style. But why in the world has this super high gloss finish come to symbolize higher quality? I'm a wood worker, furniture builder, and a man who enjoys the joys of higher fidelity and I can't for the life of me imagine why anyone would want some crazy, super-shiny, impossible to keep finish in their listening rooms, much less their home. Am I alone? Please say it ain't so. That is all.
hhdinc
I loved the hi gloss of my Piega p10's. Matched with several different rooms i put them in. I actually like the Burl walnut of the Avalons best but the Piano black was nice, too.
Hhdinc,

While I think that a Piano black gloss finish is beautiful in and of itself, my preference is also for natural woods.

That said, my AAD PMM1s (PMM1 = Piano Mini Monitor) and Zu Tones also in (custom) Piano Black look stunning. The main reason for picking this finish up was due to the decor of the room where they're situated. As many have stated above, the colour is easy to integrate into most decor - especially modern decor.

Cheers,
Garry
Great thread as I have piano finish speakers coming and also just took delivery of an MBL cdp which has quite a bit of high gloss acrylic surface on the top plate.

Rives - any special cloth you use or will microfiber do?

Do you feel like the Novus products will work the same for the high gloss acrylic on the MBL? Reading on them a bit it seems as if they should, just wondered as I've only seen the VPI in pics and the acrylic doesn't look high gloss, but I may have just seen poor pictures...