What's up with the 'Piano' gloss????

Forgive me if I'm just totally ignorant as to the inner workings of style. But why in the world has this super high gloss finish come to symbolize higher quality? I'm a wood worker, furniture builder, and a man who enjoys the joys of higher fidelity and I can't for the life of me imagine why anyone would want some crazy, super-shiny, impossible to keep finish in their listening rooms, much less their home. Am I alone? Please say it ain't so. That is all.
hhdinc
Expanding on Rives post, and my previous post, I think that "Piano Gloss" is very popular and probably has a higher universal "WAF" than other exotic woods or finishes.

Personally, I love exotic woods and finishes, but there is usually an expensive upgrade charge, so affordability might be a factor. And since most of us change gear rather frequently :-) exotic finishes that you or I might love could be a turn-off for a potential buyer.
I'm with you Hhdink. With all of the gorgeous woods available I can't understand the allure of the black gloss. Wood is natural, organic and beautiful if executed correctly. Black gloss is (IMHO) bulky looking and without character.

I have some beautiful wood furniture in my living room that I never tire of.
Novus...Could you please let us know which Novus product you use. I noticed they were several different products within their line. Thanks for your help.
I concur Hman,looks good till it doesnt,then what?A regular guy will never get out blems,an experienced painter/bodyguy is challenged there IMHO.But as usual,one mans floor is another mans ceiling,good post,Bob
i have owned two pair of piano black speakers. both were bought used so i didn't have any options. when i bought my used von schweikert dB99 speakers, there was also another pair finished in macassar ebony for about $5000 more. as much as i LOVE that ebony finish, i couldn't justify an additional $5k just for a different finish. had i been buying new, then i would've gone with ebony all the way. but i bought used and as such was at the mercy of what the seller and my wallet could agree on.