What's up with the 'Piano' gloss????

Forgive me if I'm just totally ignorant as to the inner workings of style. But why in the world has this super high gloss finish come to symbolize higher quality? I'm a wood worker, furniture builder, and a man who enjoys the joys of higher fidelity and I can't for the life of me imagine why anyone would want some crazy, super-shiny, impossible to keep finish in their listening rooms, much less their home. Am I alone? Please say it ain't so. That is all.
hhdinc
I too was/am amazed at how many have chimed in on this.My speakers are my first ever in piano gloss. I love their looks. I use the swiffer duster and then a micro fiber cloth---so far no marks on my Sophia 2's.
Maybe this is why they offer different finishes? The one that stumps me is the maple.
To each his own, but I like "Piano gloss" only on a piano. On most anything else, I associate high-gloss black with rent-to-own furniture. Jaybo's velvet Elvis comment was dead-on.

My preference is a fairly tight-grained wood veneer (maple, walnut, etc), finished with nothing more than stain and paste wax.
Post removed 
Our reference standard finish (Talon Loudspeakers) is piano gloss black. It is beautiful in my opinion and it is what sells the most--that's why it's become the standard (we do offer other custom finishes). As to keeping it looking perfect, there's a wonderful automotive product--Novus. Works well on my VPI acrylic turntable base too.