What's up with the 'Piano' gloss????

Forgive me if I'm just totally ignorant as to the inner workings of style. But why in the world has this super high gloss finish come to symbolize higher quality? I'm a wood worker, furniture builder, and a man who enjoys the joys of higher fidelity and I can't for the life of me imagine why anyone would want some crazy, super-shiny, impossible to keep finish in their listening rooms, much less their home. Am I alone? Please say it ain't so. That is all.
hhdinc
As stated above; black is a color that is easiest to integrate into your average household. Growing up, I always associated gloss black with something expensive or of high quality. While that is certainly not a golden rule, I don't believe I am part of the minority in that respect.

When done right, piano gloss can look fantastic and compliment many rooms well - adding a touch of 'class' or maturity. Naturally, it is an absolute pain in the rear to keep clean. Finger prints, Dust, small marks - oh my!

While I tend to favor natural wood tones; I am unashamed to admit that I enjoy piano gloss!
I had no idea that such a piddly observation would generate so much response. Thanks for the replies - Seems I'm basically alone. That's alright, I'm still listening to 78's too (through my 'pod, mind you). I'll stick with the good wood and the semi-gloss laquer for now. Cheers - hhdinc
How do you keep the high gloss finish from showing scratches from normal dusting and cleaning? Fine dust is abrasive and quickly leaves marks on the finish.
Post removed