What's up with the 'Piano' gloss????

Forgive me if I'm just totally ignorant as to the inner workings of style. But why in the world has this super high gloss finish come to symbolize higher quality? I'm a wood worker, furniture builder, and a man who enjoys the joys of higher fidelity and I can't for the life of me imagine why anyone would want some crazy, super-shiny, impossible to keep finish in their listening rooms, much less their home. Am I alone? Please say it ain't so. That is all.
hhdinc
Kurt_ tank....Thanks for reminding me of Grandpa Gustafson in Grumpy Old Men. Burgess Meredith was great in that role.
I'm putting a piano black finish on a wood compenent case right now (I have primer dust on myself as I type). Cde is absolutely right. I'm not even spraying color yet. I've been sanding and priming for days. The smoother you get the finish the more "large scale" ripples, waves, or curves you are able to see. After I get the primer smooth and straight I'm hoping the color will be no problem!
Seems the piano gloss would go best with a contemporary decor, but I can't picture it working as well with antique or craftsman style furnishings. Probably why most manufacturers offer options.
Hhdinc - I did a little bit of woodworking in my younger days, and I agree with you, that a rich wood finish is the way to go. My favorite speaker finish that I've seen was on a pair of Dynaudio 1.3SE monitors in Birdseye Maple. I sold them to upgrade, and now have higher quality Dynaudio's, albeit in a somewhat less attractive Rosewood finish. I've owned several black subwoofers before, and did not care for how they showed the dust.

I have traditional tastes... all black (speakers) strikes me as being more of an eclectic / modern taste.

"Not that there's anything wrong with that" (Seinfield reference)